➰Chapter Thirty-Nine➰

Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Magnus... What happens if we don't find your spellbook?" Clary asked, as he scanned the last of the party guests before he left his apartment.

"That's not an option we want to explore," Magnus replied in a warning tone. "That book can undo every spell I've ever cast. From the elementary to the complex. In new and old languages... Champenois."

"You mean the old French dialect?" Leah asked, to which he nodded.

"The red haired cat," Magnus said, lifting the wards once again. They followed him into one of the rooms and waited for him to explain further. Before he could, he and Jace exchanged knowing looks and lifted the blanket from the bed.

They all were surprised to see a cat, which hissed at them and ran out, not before Magnus caught it and turned it to its normal form: Iris Rouse.

Leah gasped. "No freaking way."

"Duratus!" Iris exclaimed, freezing them in their places. Leah could hear everything, yet she couldn't move a muscle.

"I hate party crashers," Magnus muttered, before throwing a fireball at her and continuing to hunt her around his loft.

After a few minutes, they were unfrozen, and hurried to the living room, where Magnus was using his magic to hold Iris still. She looked at Clary bitterly. "Clary Fairchild, you took a blood oath. Find Madzie."

Magnus opened up a Portal and sent her through it without as much as a warning. "She's the Clave's problem now."

"Okay, what is Valentine up to, anyway?" Alec asked.

Leah cleared her throat awkwardly, exchanging knowing glances with Jace and Clary. "I don't know."

Jace shook his head. "It's too dangerous."

"Jace, they're our family. They need to know," Clary said.

Leah nodded. "Clary's right. If something were to happen to them because we didn't say anything..."

"About what?" Isabelle asked.

"The angel, Ithuriel. Valentine was going to use him to activate the Soul-Sword," Leah replied with a sigh. "He needs someone with pure angel blood to activate it."

"That doesn't sound good," Simon said, gulping loudly.

"It's not. With the Soul-Sword activated, Valentine could decimate the entire Downworld," Jace replied.

"The angel showed us a vision of a demon that could destroy the Sword. If we could find that demon, we could stop Valentine," Clary added.

"How did you three save the angel?" Magnus asked, raising an eyebrow.

"With runes the Angel gave to me," Clary admitted finally.

"New runes, Magnus. Ones no one's ever seen before," Jace continued.

"Why did he choose Clary?" Isabelle asked with a frown.

"We don't know," Leah said.

"I do," Magnus said, surprising everyone. "Years ago, a Silent Brother told me about a special connection the original Shadowhunters had with the Angel Raziel. That they could communicate from afar through... visions. Because they were created from his blood."

"Are you saying that..." Alec started.

"Clary may have a blood connection to that angel. And that must mean she has pure angel blood."