➰Chapter Forty➰

Chapter Forty

Just as one of the savage vampires was about to kill another mundane, Jace slashed his blade on time to disintegrate him, landing so that the tip of the blade was aimed at the other vampire's throat in a menacing manner. "Remember me?"

Predictably, the vampire started to make a run for it, not before being ambushed and knocked over by Simon. "Where do you come from?"

Leah and Jace started as Simon frantically punched the vamp in search for his answers. They were so mesmerized watching who was usually a sweet, calm, dorky guy become this vengeful aggressor, that they didn't notice the other vampire that was getting ready to jump at them from behind, not until they heard two gunshots and found Luke behind them.

"Are you kidding me? I thought he was dead!" Simon said.

"Well... He does look pretty dead now," Leah said, slightly gagging at the sight of all that blood.

"Valentine must be experimenting again," Luke frowned, walking towards them while scanning the vampire corpses. "I bet there's more where that came from."

"Which means..." Jace aimed his seraph blade at the vampire. "You're going to tell us where he is, or you're going to end up like your friends."

➰➰➰

Leah suddenly found herself wishing that Valentine's hideout were anywhere but in an abandoned amusement park. The place was creepy enough on its own, without the added terror of having to worry about real vampires and werewolves to pop out and try to kill them.

"I know this is an abandoned building, but it's starting to seem extra-abandoned," Simon said, as they noticed the place was filled with empty cages.

"Are we too late?" Jace asked Luke.

Luke shook his head. "No. Scent's still fresh. Someone's here, we got to move fast."

"Fan out. Cover as much ground as you can," Jace instructed, as Luke and Simon went separate ways into the building. When Leah was starting to do so, Jace pulled her back. "Except you. You're the only other person Valentine could use to activate the Sword. You need to stay with me."

Leah rolled her eyes playfully. "You know Jace, if you want to spend more time together you could just ask."

Jace and Leah walked deeper into the park, until they noticed a chained figure in the back. Jace gestured for Leah to rush towards it after him, and they were both relieved to see Clary.

"Oh my God. Clary," Leah breathed, cupping her sister's cheek gently. "Are you alright? Where's Valentine?"

"I don't know. All the Circle members just left in a hurry."

"Okay. Don't move," Jace said, as he swung his seraph blade on Clary's shackles to free her.

They suddenly heard footsteps, only to meet eye-to-eye with Valentine himself and Madzie. "Going someplace?"

Jace tried to charge at him, but Madzie used her magic to freeze him on his spot. Leah gulped. "Madzie? What is going on?"

"I didn't think so. She's strong for her age, isn't she?" Valentine smiled cynically.

"Does she know that you're trying to kill her and all of her friends?" Leah spat.

Clary gave Leah a warning look, before walking towards Madzie and speaking in a calm voice. "Madzie, hey, please... Please let Jace go."

"Now, why would she do that, hmm?" Valentine said.

Leah narrowed her eyes at him. "Because you want to hurt Downworlders. Downworlders like Iris."