➰Chapter Twenty-eight➰

Chapter Twenty-eight

"So you ran away?" Simon asked Leah, trying to make sure he had understood the story right. The girl nodded, and that's when he realized how much she ressembled Jocelyn. Her eyes were a shade darker than Clary's, and her dark brown hair clearly differed, but other than that, they might as well have been twins.

Leah sighed, taking a seat on one of the canoes left upside down on the warehouse's floor. She was only wearing a black tank top that revealed all the runes on her pale arms, and Simon wondered if he should offer him his jacket for the cold. It wasn't like he needed any body heat, anyways. "Sort of. I need your help."

That made Simon widen his eyes in concern and walk up to her with a fast pace. Had something happened? Was Clary okay?

"Leah, what's going on?"

The girl sighed, her eyes meeting directly with his. He felt his stomach jolt in happiness because of her poximity to him, and he was startled when he realized she had the same effects on him her younger sister had. "I have to find Jace, Simon. He's already been through enough, and if I can do something about it, I will help him."

Simon wiped the bright smile off his face inavertedly. Of course, this was about Jace. That cocky Shadowhunter with pretty boy looks and the ability to gain all of the Fairchild girls' attention. That Jace. "Right. Why aren't Clary and Alec here, then? They care about Jace as much as you do."

"But the Clave called off his search for now and now it's a hunt," She replied, emphasizing the fact that they might as well put a bounty in his head. "As if he were some sort of enemy."

"To be fair, he is Valentine's son," Simon argued, but judging by Leah's glaring response, he realized maybe it had been the wrong thing to say.

"So are Clary and I. I mean, his children. But that still doesn't change the fact that the real enemy here is Valentine," Leah sighed in defeat. "Please, Simon. I—I don't know what I'll do if I can't save him. I know you would do the same for Clary."

"Clary? Please, she's just my—"

"Friend?" Leah finished for him, and he hated the fact that even though there wasn't any blood circulating in his veins, he could feel himself blush with embarrassment.

Of course he was in love with Clary. She had been his first friend, his first love, and an irreplaceable presence in his life for as long as he could remember. "That's all she's ever gonna be, Simon. We both know that. But that doesn't change how you might feel about her. I should know."

"What do you want from me?" Simon snapped at her, having lost most, if not all of his patience.

Leah opened her mouth as if to respond, but was abruptly interrupted before emmanating a single word. There was a loud crashing noise, and the light of a Portal being formed blinded him briefly. But nothing could have prepared him for when his eyes landed on a familiar figure, her face pale and her skin tainted with exalting black veins. He knew Leah felt the same way, since she let out a loud gasp.

"Mom?" Leah asked, obviously not able to fully trust her senses. But if they were really failing her, why would he be witnessing the exact same thing?

"Leah," Dot smiled as best she could, appearing not to notice Simon's presence.

"I—I thought... I thought you were dead." Leah stuttered, while Simon was certain that if he still could, he would definitely have gotten a heart attack at Dot's sudden appearance back from the dead.

"I need you to come with me. It's Jace. Valentine... He asked me to bring you to him," Dot said quickly, as if she were afraid of disappearing before delivering the message. "Please, Leah. He will make me hurt Simon if you don't come."