f i f t e e n

It's Friday now and I haven't communicated with Maya whatsoever since the incident.

She sent me an abundance of texts on the first day but I think she realized I wasn't going to reply by the third. She eventually stopped making an effort altogether.

I just needed a couple more days to figure things out. Unfortunately, today was the day of our race so I was going to be forced to run into her; whether I liked it or not.

Farkle and Lucas had tagged along to support me. Lucas recently apologized to me so we were back on good terms.

~

I stepped off the school bus and my eye immediately met hers.

I offered a shy smile and turned to walk the other way.

Maya called after me once she noticed my actions and followed. "Riley!"

I stopped walking in my tracks to meet her gaze. She looked so gorgeous today. Everything about her was so inviting and for a brief moment, I didn't care.

I didn't care about our school rivalry, my homophobic Dad, the scholarship or my failing grades. A certain spark of rebellion urged me to just grab her face right there and kiss her in front of everyone. To show them how much I loved this girl. But reality always won in the end.

"Maya.." I started, looking up to see her offering me an understanding look. "Listen, I'm sorry about everything, I really am. I'll explain later, but right now we can't be seen together." I finished and began to walk off again.

Maya stopped and grabbed my wrist. The third time. "Why not?" she spoke with obliviousness. "We're school rivals, Peaches. We can't let them get the wrong idea." I replied

"What's the wrong idea?" Maya asked, continuing her interrogation of me.

I ran a hand through my hair and looked around, praying that Farkle would show up and save me. "I don't know.."

I met Maya's eyes for the second time during this conversation. "Are you embarrassed of us?" She asked her final question, sadness lacing her every word.

"You don't want them to think that Riley Matthews could possibly be dating the lesbian from her rival school." She stated, both of us knowing that that wasn't true.

"Baby you know that's not what I meant." I replied, cupping her cheek. It was a dangerous action but I was willing to take the risk for her. Making sure that no eyes were on us, I leaned in and whispered in her ear. "Follow me."

I jogged to the locker room with Maya trailing behind me like a lost puppy. As soon as both of us were in the room, I slammed the door shut and locked it.

"I need to know what's going on." Maya spoke with urgency, pacing around the locker room.

Before my brain could prevent me from making rash decisions, I spoke from my heart for once.

"I love you." was the first thing that came to mind.

Maya was shocked, to say the least. "I- I feel the same way." She said hesitantly and smiled. "I'm in love with you too Riley Matthews."

Maya looked so cute in her running attire and high ponytail that I couldn't keep my hands to myself. I grabbed the front of her shirt and pulled her in, initiating a kiss.

She gasped at my sudden movement but smiled through the kiss. I sighed contently when she ran her hand through my hair; her other hand resting on my hip and pulling me closer.

The soft pecks quickly turned into urgent, desperate kisses. I pulled away for a second to regain my breath. "Maya.."

I didn't know what saying her name would accomplish but I did it anyways. "Shh, not now Riles." and with that she started pressing light, feathery kisses on my neck.