t w e n t y t h r e e

My fingers tapped the keys on my laptop rapidly as I tried my best to put together a seemingly formal email to Columbia.

I wanted to clarify that the whole first place situation was legitimate in case coach got my hopes up for nothing.

Hi, my name is Riley Matthews and I was wondering if winning a first place at a track race would help me get a scholarship at Columbia? Thank you.

My hands cover the cold computer mouse to drag the cursor to the send button. In a swift movement, I send the email and close my laptop. Knowing that waiting for a response will consume my mind for the next few hours, I decide to go on a run.

~

The fog made it difficult to see 5 feet in front of me let alone run. It was a misty grey that covered the streets and created an ominous feel to the usual lively New York. My eyes squinted at a figure that grew in size as it approached me.

Who else would be crazy enough to be running in this weather?

The figure, which I have deducted as feminine by now because of the long blonde ponytail swinging back and forth

"Riley!!" The figure called out as it came even closer.

I laughed when I realized it was Maya and held up my right hand to offer her a slight wave.

When we meet, Maya pecks me quickly on the lips and asks "What the hell are you doing running in the fog? You're asking to get hit by a car."

I rolled my eyes at her remark though I knew she was mostly concerned for my safety. "I don't get why you can but I can't." I pouted

Maya shrugged her shoulders "Well at the rate this school year is going, I'm trying to get hit by a car." She joked.

Before I could reply, my phone lit up with a notification. I held it up to see that Columbia had already replied to my email.

That was fast.

"Who's that?" Maya asked curiously with no real interest in her voice.

I shoved the phone back into my pocket and shook my head. "Nothing important, just spam mail." I lied.

Maya smiled and nodded understandingly, making me feel horrible for lying to her. "Gotta hate those." I nodded silently, causing her to shove her hands into her pocket and look down at the sidewalk.

~

Maya climbed into my window with a slip of paper in one hand and a bottle of champagne in the other. Her blond hair was up in a loose ponytail which complimented the tight blue jeans she was wearing.

"Sooo... I went to the DMV this morning and finally got my license!!"
She exclaimed and waved around the slip of paper. I watched with a smirk as she settled down in the bag window.

I laughed fondly and nodded towards her right hand. "Don't tell me you're going to drink that before you get on the road later."

The blonde shook her head before resting it on my shoulder. She pressed a lingering kiss on my neck which made me sigh in content.