Home

Once Jack had dragged Merete back to the ship, while shooting at storm troopers. Merete stared into space. She didn't talk. She couldn't think straight either. Her eyes were loopy along with her thoughts.

"You okay?" Jack asked waving a hand in front of her face.

Merete looked up at him from the ground where she curled up in tears.

"This is all my fault!" She yelled hurling herself down and crying harder. She laid on her side and sobbed onto the cold, now wet, floor.

"It's not your-" Jack tried to comfort her, but realized he wasn't getting anywhere. So he just sat beside her until she cried herself to sleep. He sat with her all night as he carefully re-braided his brown hair.

As Merete woke up, Evelyn, Merete's clone, stepped in the room. She sat with them, awkwardly. The whole situation was awkward. For both Merete and Evelyn, it was like looking in a mirror, but it didn't do what you did.

Creepy!

"So uh..." Evelyn tried to start a conversation, but when she failed, she revealed why she walked in. "The hyper-drive's broken." She sighed. Merete was the only one who could fix that sort of thing. She could only do repairs in a ship though, anything else just exploded.

"I'll fix it." Merete slowly stood and shuffled into the pilot's room and grabbed the things she needed. She slapped on goggles and grabbed some tools.

"What are we going to do now?" Sabrina asked from above the pit Merete sat in to make repairs.

"We move on." Jack suggested walking in.

"Easier said than done!" Merete yelled as she threw a wrench up at them and instead grabbed a hammer. She began to bang around before throwing back up the hammer and grabbing duct tape, a screw driver, and some screws.

"But you need to forget about him. Nothing you do will bring him back." Evelyn pointed out. Merete stopped and looked up at them from the pit she stood in. She set down the things, took off the goggles, climbed out of the pit, and left.

"I'll be in my room." She mumbled and shuffled out into the empty ship.

About a week passed.

Nothing happened.

Everyone sat around lonely.

Merete finally came out of her room after a few days. She began acting normal again a few days after that.

She hid Kizet's necklace under her shirt as she tried not to think about him, but sometimes, she did anyway.

She would think of his smile. That toothy seven year old grin.

How he used to get so mad when you wouldn't call him seven and a half.

Merete then would snap back to reality and be normal again. She'd smile and forget until the next time she was reminded of the Wookiee.

~•~•~•~•~•~

"Pass the beans, Merete." Evelyn spoke at their table. Their small dinner table where they could afford one meal a day. It was always beans, though.

They were all tired of it, but it was food, and they were still alive, so they couldn't complain too much.

"MERETE, MERETE!" Sabrina ran in frantically waving her arms in the air. "You will NEVER believe this!" She screamed.

Merete stood up with excitement.

"What is it?" She asked.

Sabrina was so happy she could barely keep herself from screaming so she just held out a small circle pad. Merete turned it on. There was no visual, only a voice.

"Hey, this is Moses Magdaline. Uhhhh, hi, Merete and Sabrina. Wassup? What am I even saying?" The voice laughed. It sounded strangely robotic for a human voice. "This isn't me talking now, it's a protocol droid saying everything I told it to right before I did this recording." The voice laughed again. "This is a private message meant only to reach Merete and Sabrina Magdaline, so go away if you aren't them. Uhhhhhh- oh! I remember what I was saying! Meet me at home. Thank you."

Merete smiled toward Sabrina.

I can go home? I'll find my family again! With all four of us! Plus Jack and Evelyn. Merete had mixed feelings, but was so excited.

"Where did you guys live?" Jack asked revealing that he clearly didn't leave when the recording said to.

"Lothal." Sabrina answered.

"We lived on Lothal!" Merete jumped. She ran to the pilot's seat and shoved Jack in. Sabrina co-piloted now.

Just before jumping to light speed, away from the dark void of the stars, Merete pulled it her necklace from underneath her blue shirt. She stared at the wooden Wookiee carved from a tree. She held it in her hand and looked forward.

I wish you could be part of my family again, Kizet.