(11) Problem

( SCOTT )

I actually styled my hair. I actually put on cologne. I actually got dressed in presentable clothes—a long-sleeve shirt and light-wash jeans. It's been two weeks since my life got turned upside-down, and today is my first day back at work.

I haven't exactly figured out what I'm going to say to Avi when I see him. I'll thank him, of course. But what else do I say? We're not meeting under unfortunate circumstances—such as, oh, I don't know, a nearly fatal car accident, perhaps—so it's not like he'll be obliged to be nice to me. And me to him.

I should probably just stop thinking about it, and just let it play out naturally, though. Because if I run the damn brush through my hair one more time out of anxiety, I think I'm going to explode. I quickly grab my car keys and phone, slip into my shoes, and then head over to the studio.

As I sit in my car now parked in front of the studio, my heart thumps in my chest, and I can practically feel it shaking my body. There are only a couple of people in the lobby, so if I go in now, it's not like it'll cause a big scene. I could also just sneak back to my office and talk to Colin there. Maybe I could avoid Avi altogether.

No, of course I couldn't do that. He's been teaching my students for me. I was an idiot once, and I certainly won't be an idiot again. I take a deep breath, and then head inside.

My trying-to-stay-incognito cover is blown as soon as I step through the door and the bell above it jingles. I hadn't realized Colin was in the lobby from my car, but I notice now as he turns around and smiles at me.

"Scott! Oh my God, it's sure been a while!" He walks over to me and we engage ourselves in a 'bro hug.' "How've you been, man? You certainly look better."

His voice is loud. I can feel people's eyes on me, and I self-consciously want to melt into the floor. But I force a smile and hold my composure. "It's gotten better," I say. "I have, I mean."

"That's good, that's good." Colin is still beaming at me, and then he seems to remember why I'm here. He sets whatever is in his hand down on a table, and says, "Alright, well, let's get you all set back up over here, then, yes?"

"Sure," I answer enthusiastically, nodding, eager to distract myself for a little while. We walk back to Colin's office, and I look around the small room, stacked with boxes and littered with instruments, as Colin searches for something in his desk drawer.

"Okay," he says, setting a spiral-bound notebook down on his desk. He beckons me over, then opens it. "This is basically my running record of all of your students. Didn't know how long you'd be out, so figured I'd do this so that, when you came back, you'd know what was accomplished."

Colin slides the notebook towards me, and I nod, flipping through the pages. "Wow, this is awesome. This means a lot Colin, thank you," I say, looking up at him.

He smiles again. "Hey, don't mention it. I hope it's enough, so that you don't have to waste half of each lesson getting all caught up."

I nod, skimming through a particularly full page for one of my guitar students. She's made great strides since our last lesson together, and I notice Avi has been teaching her. I bite my lip, not sure exactly how to react to that.

I check my watch. It's already nine-thirty, a half hour until my first lesson. I close the notebook, then look up at Colin. "Thank you so much again—for this, and for helping me. It means a lot. I appreciate it."

He just shrugs, like it's nothing. "Yeah, no problem. But can I say again that you've got some incredibly talented students there, Scott. Especially that Carrie girl. I can't remember her name...the one who's singing 'I Know You Won't.'"