OUTTAKE #1

These were the words Scott realized he said two seconds too late in-between the end of "Let It Go" and the beginning of "On My Way Home." I was originally going to keep it in there, but decided a cliffhanger would be better. 😉 Hope you enjoy! ☺️😘

✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧✦

( KIRSTIE )

"But, you know what?" He laughs again, that same bitter, breathless, hysterical laugh that sends shivers down my spine and knots my stomach. "I must be a fucking damn good actor, too."

The room is silent. All I can hear is my heartbeat throbbing in every pressure point in my entire body, adrenaline rushing past my ears at top-speed. Scott looks like he regrets the words as soon as they leave his mouth, but he doesn't try to take them back. Or steer the conversation away. Or run off.

My voice is small when I finally find it again, breaking the dead silence that resonates throughout the room-though I'm almost certain my heart sounds like a distant drum to everybody else. "What?" I can't say anything else; my voice cracks in just that one syllable. But Scott's next words are like a bullet to my chest.

"He's not dead," he says. Silence. "He faked his death. Now he's off hiding somewhere with some new personality and a new name." He heaves for a second. "I don't know where he is, but.... oh my God." Suddenly, panic crosses his eyes. It seems like he's finally realized what he's done-told us that Mitch isn't fucking dead?!

"I wasn't supposed to tell you that. I was,... fuck, I'm the only one who's supposed to know. I shouldn't have told you that, I..." He scrubs his hands down his face, frantic. "Fuck, I need to go. Fucking hell, we need to go. We need to go. I need to go. I-"

Finally, Avi breaks the silence. "Scott, what the hell?! What is this?! You're telling us... you're telling us Mitch is still alive?!"

Scott flashes him a look so deathly menacing I almost cower. "Why don't you say it louder for the people in the back, Avriel," he snaps, though his voice is still an octave too high in panic. His eyes suddenly meet mine: wild, terrified. "I wasn't supposed to... you weren't supposed to... God, I failed him yet again, but this time I won't be there to save him. I don't... know where the hell he is but I... I need to go. I'm sorry."

None of us try to stop him as he sprints towards the door, throws it open, and is gone in a heartbeat, security shouting after him. His words hang heavy in the air.