Chapter 3

AN: Hello everybody. I hope you are all enjoying this story. Be sure to tune in on Valentines day for an extra update! School for once is going well and I've made some headway with finishing this, so once it is finished I'll start updating this story daily ;) 

The morning came fast for Astrid as she grumbled when the rays of light hit her face. Cracking open an eye she saw Hiccup sitting near the fire cooking yet another set of fish. It was then that the night's events came crashing down on her. Astrid sat up abruptly causing Hiccup to let out a 'EEP' from being startled. Hiccup quickly tried to cover his shock with a cough while trying not to look embarrassed. Astrid simply watched her savior and then let out loud laughter while clutching her stomach.

"Oh my Thor!" Astrid said between the laughter. "This is the first time I've ever heard someone yell 'EEP' from being frightened!"

"Har har har" Hiccup stated dryly while continuing to roast the fish.

"How long have you been up?" Astrid queried.

"Before dawn." Hiccup answered while handing Astrid a fish.

"I'm sorry that I have kept you then." Astrid said and then took a bite out of the fish. "Thank you so much for the food."

Hiccup nodded and then said "You haven't kept me. The benefit about being a wanderer is that time is never a constraint."

"If I might ask. What made you become a wanderer?" Astrid asked clearly curious about her savior.

"I...... I just couldn't stay in Berk anymore." Hiccup mumbled. "A lot of things happened and I decided to leave to find something better in my life."

"You're from Berk!" Astrid asked surprised. "That is way up north. Viking territory. There hasn't been much contact with the Vikings in quite a few years."

To this Hiccup nodded. "But you don't look like a Viking." Astrid stated.

"And what pray tell milady would a Viking look like?" Hiccup asked in amusement.

"You know, big, hairy, and build like a mountain." Astrid answered and then waved her hands in emphasis which caused Hiccup to laugh.

"What?" Astrid asked confused.

"It's just that I never expected someone belonging to the mainland nobility to be so...... laid back. Especially not the Dark Queen herself." Hiccup explained. "In my journey I saw a lot of them strut around dressed like peacocks."

This caused Astrid to laugh. "I couldn't agree with you more. Some of those outfits were ridiculous." Astrid still sporting a smile then winked at Hiccup. "I know what they say about me, and believe me when I tell you that some of those rumors are true, but that doesn't mean that I can't be laid back."

"So you actually turned King Nume's castle lime green?" Hiccup asked suddenly. "There was talk about that when I passed through one of the taverns in Euras."

"No. I did not turn his castle lime green." Astrid said looking aghast. "I turned it pink. Lime green would have never matched that stuck up king's shoes."

"Whatever did the king of Euras do to deserve such a fate?" Hiccup asked as he proceeded to pack up his belongings.

"He dared to suggest that I'd be far more useful bearing him heirs then running a kingdom." Astrid explained which caused Hiccup to lift a brow.

"He actually said that to your face?" Hiccup asked to which Astrid nodded as she helped him clear up the campsite. "Then he got what was coming to him."

"You can bathe in the lake if you want." Hiccup said. "It is slightly shallow near the big rock."

"Thank you but that will not be necessary right now." Astrid explained as she dusted off her gown. "I would much rather try to make it to the next village or town so that I might find some clue as to the fate of my guards."