06 | gladiators

Dedicated to hyrule because I absolutely love her and her new story "Smitten Kitten". Don't forget to check it out! I promise it won't disappoint :)

// Happiness is the richest thing we'll ever own //

*     *     *     *     *

0 6

g l a d i a t o r s

EVERYTHING WAS SCATTERED around my bedroom, but my mind was even messier. Clothes were strewn all over my mattress and floor while unzipped bags lay in every corner of the room.

"Where is it," I grumbled to myself as I checked every possible place where my phone could be, as my hands furiously moved on their own accord. I had done everything I could, retracing my steps countless times, but my phone was nowhere in sight.

I ran my fingers through my half assed bun that was already falling apart in an attempt to remember the last place I had seen it but my pounding headache became even more prevalent as my frustration grew to new heights.

But like any endeavor, even the most tedious and exasperating ones, I kept searching in vain to recover what I had lost because that's what you do when you want to find something: you look for it, no matter the struggle.

-          -          -

The rest of the weekend flew by in an instant and I suddenly found myself trudging to my first hour, coffee in one hand and a bagel in the other. My outfit, consisting of an old hoodie and some baggy sweatpants, looked as messy and disorganized as I felt so I wasn't surprised to see Cora walking up to me, her nose wrinkling in distaste.

"Did you sleep at all last night?" She asked, immediately snatching half of my bagel and biting it.

I sighed and rubbed my tired eyes, "No, what do you think. You know I would never wear this to school unless I had to." Rocking back and forth on my heels, I watched her devour the rest of my breakfast.

She swallowed and rolled her eyes as she started walking towards our class. "Okay so what happened? And why did you suddenly disappear on Friday and then not answer any of my texts or calls all weekend?"

I picked at the hem of my shirt's frayed ends and replied, "I couldn't find my phone and I checked everywhere I could think of. Honestly, I probably left it with my mystery guy."

Cora's eyes widened and she immediately halted. "Mystery guy?!" She screeched. "Oh my god Bri! You met someone and you didn't tell me?"

I poked her in the side as I tried hard not to roll my eyes. "Well of course I didn't you idiot. I just told you I probably left it at the ball."

She poked me back and suddenly smirked. "Wait hold up, is it a white iPhone with a maroon and gold case?"

"Yes! Did you see it?" I grabbed her hand excitedly, desperately hoping that she did, indeed, see it.

"No but your mystery guy definitely has." Cora's eyes glinted as she pointed behind me. I turned only for me to stumble back as I saw Eric Matthews of all people hanging up a "missing" poster with a picture of my phone on it and then walking away only to put up another a few feet down the hallway.

My jaw dropped as I realized I had both danced and flirted with the most popular guy at my high school. And not only that, but I had also ditched him at the ball and then left my phone with him, only for him to put up goddamn posters all over the school.

"Oh shit, am I in mess right now." I walked closer to the poster, scared to even touch it in fear that it would be this situation even more real.

Cora came to stand beside me, her hand rubbing my shaking arm reassuringly. "Oh shit indeed."

*     *     *     *     *

A / N

hey guys! i cannot thank y'all enough for 1.5k reads and more than 100 votes! your constant support and enthusiasm is very much appreciated and i love every single of you beauties out there! and omg?! #622 in short story? YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST I LOVE YOU!!

i hope you guys enjoyed this update and if you did, make sure to comment and vote and thoughts or theories for what's gonna happen! i love talking to you guys because you guys are one the best things that could happen to me!

i hope to see everyone soon and as always, much love to every single person out there.

xo skylar