Chapter Three

1975
2 years later...
I turned 15 in April, and Michael turned 17 this month in August. After I told the secret that was weighing me down, Mrs. Jackson makes sure I frequently stay at Hayvenhurst. I've only got beaten 26 times in the run of two years. Michael and I are best friends. Him and I are unseperable. We talk to each other about any and everything! We are even very comfortable around each, but to be honest, I'm think in love with him. I'm not sure what I'm feeling, but ever since he tried to kiss me two years ago, I've had butterflies in my stomach, and when he comes close, I get nervous. Hazel and Jermaine got married last month, and I was her maid of honor. Her and I are so close now. Every time father would beat me, I would run to her room when I got my strength back, and she would comfort me. The sad part is, father bought Jermaine a house, so she moved out of the house, and left me alone with father. I have never been so terrified in my life! I'm very close with the Jackson's now, especially Michael and Janet now. And I start my first day of school with Michael, and I'm so nervous! I've never been school before, but I've been homeschooled, and I love books! I could finish a large book in a day. I guess you could call me a nerd and geek, with a great taste in fashion, and naturistic hobbies. Michael and his brothers are coming home from there tour for a year, so I'm excited to see him! I was hanging out with Janet, LaToya and Rebbie. We were talking about different things.
"Girls! The Boys are back!"
I shot down the stares to see Michael. He opened his arms and I ran into them, and held him tight, as he lifted me and swung me around.
"I missed you BabyGirl!"
"I missed you so much Michael!"
He put me down and got a good look at me. His Afro was larger, and was very thin, but more built. I blushed hard thinking about how much cuter he got.
"Wow! I've only been gone a whole year, and my best friend has grown, and become more beautiful!"
I smiled as I felt my cheeks turn red.
"Thank you. And you are handsome as ever."
He smiled wider, and we grabbed each other again for another hug.
"He hugged Janet, Rebbie, and Latoya last, and they talked for a while, while me and Mrs. Jackson finished dinner. Mrs. Jackson is like my second mother, although I still wonder what my mother was like. But I guess I'll never know. When dinner was ready, I sat next to Michael this time. As I was eating, I felt Michael's hand slip into mine under the table. I looked over at him, and he winked at me. I felt my cheeks become warm again, as I looked back down at my half empty plate. Then, Mrs. Jackson spoke.
"So, how'd you guys do this time around?"
"It was really good, Mother!"
"Yeah, it was very exhausting!"
"Yet fun!"
All the boys were ranting on and in about the trip. It sounded fun, but honestly, I didn't care. I was just glad Michael was home. I had my best friend back. After dinner, I helped Mrs. Jackson clean up, and then sat all the siblings outside. I got out my Canon, and began snapping pics of all of them.
"Randy! Please be still! Janet, scoot in a little closer to Michael. And Rebbie, step in a little bit more. Perfect! 3...2...1!"
I snapped the perfect picture of them. Michael came up to me after the photos.
"Come on, Nellie, we have some catching up to do."
He grabbed my hand and dragged me to the garden, and we sat down on the bench. We took a good long look at each other before I spoke.
"So, are you excited for school?"
"Yeah, I can't wait! What about you?"
"I'm really nervous, Michael. You know I'm not good at all when it comes to socializing."
"It's okay, Nellie. You'll have me and Janet! Don't worry, school is great. I promise you."
"Thanks for making me feel better."
He lifted my chin and turned my head to the side. Oh no. He noticed.
"Is that a cigarette burn, and a handprint?"
I quietly nodded my head. He took a deep breath and sighed.
"So,what happened this time?"
"Um, when Hazel left, he got really drunk, and he was crying because 'his little girl left him, and he would miss her' and I was brace enough to walk over to him, and tell him that 'he still had me', but he got mad, and slapped me and held the cigarette to my face and said he could never want me."
"Nyhelie, I'm so sorry. I wish I could've been there to stop him."
"No, don't blame yourself, it was my fault."
"You say that every time."
"Michael, calm down it's okay-"
"It's not okay! And it's not your fault! He shouldn't do this to you. I hate seeing you hurt, Nyhelie. I hate it so much."
I saw a tear go down his face. I wiped it away and pulled him into a hug.
"Michael, please don't cry. Not today, please."
"I can't help it, when you are constantly getting hurt everyday."
I just sighed. He wouldn't stop crying. The I got an idea. I began to hum the tune he hums to me all the time, whenever father beats me. He started to calm down. When I finished, he lifted himself from my shoulder. He took his hands in mine.
"I'm sorry I made you cry Michael. I always make everything so sad."
"Nyhelie, no. Please don't lower yourself. Please don't."
I looked down. We sat in silence for a little while. Then I got up, and removed one of his hands from mine, but kept the other one.
"Come on Michael, I wanna show you something..."
I pulled him from the garden benched, and we walked all the way into my bedroom. I shut the door behind me.
"You can sit on the bed if you want."
Michael's POV....
I was very upset. I was so happy to see Nyhelie. When ran in the room, I was truly shocked at how beautiful she had grown. She was a little taller, but still shorter than me, and her bangs got even longer. I bet she's hiding something under there because of something that sick monster, she calls her father did to her. But I loved the way her light brown eyes, brightened when she saw me. I always tell her her eyes remind me of pools of honey because of how light they are. She always laughs at that. The thing that I hated the most, is the fact that she's always getting hurt. It breaks my heart to see her in pain like that. Another thing that I hated, is that she's so thin. I can tell she still doesn't eat sometimes. I'm so glad I'm home though, then I can help, and put her back in line. She asked me to come to her room. I didn't even know she had a room! That's great, because I don't want her staying with Berry, I can tell you that now. When we went in her room, I was amazed. It was yellow, her favorite color, with sunflowers painted on the wall, and it had a large mirror, with a pole connected to it of some sort. Her ballet outfit was hanging on the pole. I had never seen her do ballet before. She was pulling out a black book of some sort. She walked over to me and sat next to me on the bed. When she opened it, she flipped it all the way to the back. In the back was a realistic picture of me before I left. I was amazed at she got every detail of my face. She was truly talented. I hate when people underestimate her.
"You drew this?!"
"Yeah, Michael please don't hate me, it looks terrible-"
"Nyhelie! I love it so much! It's beautiful, thank you much!"
I pulled her into another hug.
"I'm glad you like it Michael."
"How long did this take you?"
"4 hours."
"Wow! It's amazing!"
I looked at her in amazement. She tucked her bang behind her ear in shyness. I chuckled. She looked at me puzzled.
"What?"
"You're so shy!"
She softly punched my arm. I bust out laughing.
"Ouch! What was that for?!"
"You're just as shy as me, so I wouldn't be talking!"
We both laughed.
"Michael! Nyhelie! Come downstairs!"
Nyhelie's POV...
Our laughing continued as Michael chased me down the stairs. I let out a small shriek as he grabbed me and lifted me up. Mrs. Jackson looked very unsettled about something, so we stopped our laughter, and Michael put me down.
"What's wrong, Mother?"
"Nyhelie, your... father called for you. He wants you to come get some clothes from the house."
My heart stopped. I looked at Michael.
"I'll take her Mother."
"Michael No! Please, I don't want you-"
"I'm going and that's final! We'll be back Mother."
"Okay, sweetie, please, be careful!"