Chapter Four

I sat in the back of the limo, asking myself:
What's he gonna do this time?
How bad is he gonna beat me?
Why am I so scared?
A large lump formed in my throat.
"A penny for your thoughts."
Michael stared at me in amusement.
Tears welled in my eyes.
"Michael, I'm scared!"
"Hey come here."
I scooted close to him and nuzzled my head on his chest, as him stroked my head. He began to hum that unfamiliar tune again. I calmed down, but began to close my eyes. I had fallen asleep.
"Nyhelie, wake up. We're here."
I jumped up. I looked Michael in the eyes, as I held on to his shirt.
"Michael, I'm really scared!"
I began to cry.
"Nyhelie! Please calm down! I promise I'll protect you. Look at me. I'll protect you."
"Please hold my hand!"
He got out of the car first, then held his hand out. I grabbed his hand and held it tight. We walked up the steps to the mansion door. It was always unlocked, so I never had a problem getting in. We slowly walked in. I looked around carefully and prayed that he wasn't here.
"F-Father?"
I softened my grip on Michael's hand. Just as we were about to go upstairs to my room, I heard the door slam. I let out a scream, and gripped Michael's hand even tighter than before.
"H-Hi F-Father, Mrs. J-Jackson said y-you wanted me?"
Father had a scowl on his face. I could tell he was drunk... again.
"You disgrace of a daughter! Why the hell are you in my house?!"
Before I could speak, everything happened so fast. Somehow, my tight grip on Michael's hand was released, and I let out a scream, as father had pinned me against the wall, by my neck. I couldn't breath.
"Berry, let her go!"
Michael tried to pry him off, but he pushed him to the ground.
"Now listen here you bitch! You go get some more of your shit, and get the fuck out of my house!"
He turned around and look at Michael.
"And who said you could bring boys into my house you slut?!"
He threw me on the ground. I let out a louder scream as he punched me in the nose. Blood started to poor out of it. He kicked me in the stomach, knocking wind from my body. I began to cough up blood.
"You wanna be a slut, I'll treat you like a slut!"
He climbed on top of me, and I tried to scream, but I couldn't. I couldn't move at all. I had gone numb. All of a sudden, father was struck by something knocking him out. I felt hands lift me up from the floor. Everything was turning white.
Michael's POV...
I picked myself off the floor just in time to see Berry climb on top of Nyhelie. I panicked. I looked around, and saw a small statue on the fireplace mantle. I quickly grabbed it, and before he could fully unbuckle his pants, with full force, I knocked him on the head with it, making him fall. He was knocked out.
"Nyhelie!"
I quickly picked up Nyhelie. She looked out of it. She was bleeding a lot. I had to get her to the hospital. I ran to the limo, and payed her inside, then I ran back in the house upstairs, and grabbed a lot of Nyhelie's things. I ran back down stairs, and got in the car. I lifted Nyhelie's head on my lap.
"Quick Bill! To the hospital! And hurry!"
I unbuttoned my shirt and took it off. I still had on a white t shirt underneath. I put my shirt to her nose to stop the bleeding.
"Nyhelie Please! You have to be okay! Just hang on!"
We pulled up to the hospital. I rushed out of the car with Nyhelie in my arms. I rushed in, and the doctors laid her on the table, and ran her off. I called everyone, and told them what happened. I sat in the waiting room. I was shaking scared. A tear ran down my cheek.
What if she dies?
She can't die!
She's gonna make it.
She's gonna make it.
"Michael!"
I saw Mother, and Janet rush in the hospital. I ran to mother and hugged her and Janet. I burst into tears.
"She's gonna be okay, Michael."
Just then, the doctor came in.
"Jackson?"
We jumped up.
"Is she okay?!"
"I rushed her into OR. She had bruised ribs, and internal bleeding. Thank God her nose isn't broken. If she's okay tomorrow, we can release her. The surgery was successful. You can go in now."
Nyhelie's POV...
I woke up to see a bright light. Are you bus? I heard beeping sounds everywhere. I slowly turned my aching head to the side. I saw Michael sleeping next to me. I turned my head the other way, and saw Mrs. Jackson, knitting in a chair, Jermaine just now handing a cup of coffee to Hazel, and Rebbie,
and LaToya helping Janet, with something that looked like homework.
"W-What's g-going o-on?"
Michael's eyes opened, and he jumped up.
"Nyhelie?! Guys! She's awake!"
Everyone rushed to my bedside. They were all relieved. I felt Michael hugged me.
"Nyhelie, I'm so glad you're okay! How do you feel?"
"Um, I feel numb."
Mrs. Jackson stroked my hair before leaving.
"I'm going to get the doctor, okay?"
"Mhm, um Michael, can you please sit me up?"
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah."
Michael slowly, and carefully slid his hand under my back, then he held my hand. He pulled me up slowly, as Janet helped prop up the pillow. I winced in pain, as the pain begin to come into full effect. Michael looked at me worried.
"Maybe you should lay back down."
"No, I'm okay, just in pain."
"Alight. How long have I been out?"
Michael sighed.
"Since last night. You missed school."
"What?! I really wanted to go!"
"Its okay, Nyhelie, if you're okay, you can go home today."
"Yeah I should, cause I'm used to it anyway."
Michael gave me a sad smile.
Janet sat on the bed, and held my hand.
"Oh Nyhelie, I'm so glad you're okay!"
"Aw Janey Aney, you can't rid of me that easily."
I poked her nose. She smiled. I looked over at Hazel.
"Hazel, when'd you get here?!"
"I got here last night. I was so scared little sister. I thought he killed you!"
"I know Hazel."
She came over to my bedside, and held my hand.
"Baby sister, I don't want you over there ever again. You hear me?"
"Where am I gonna stay?"
"With us."
I looked over at Michael.
"Are you sure?"
"Of course! Everyone loves you!"
Just then, the doctor came in with Mrs. Jackson.
"Alright, she looks alright. Bring he back in 2 weeks, and we'll remove her stitches. She is free to go."
Michael smiled at me.
"You're a fighter, Nyhelie."
I smiled weakly, but inside, it was tearing me apart. Every time father beats me, it gets worse. I just didn't understand why I was so bad. I'm not even beautiful anymore, father beat that out of me a long time ago. I guess this was the first time I blamed myself completely. I guess I am a slut and a whore and a disgrace. I guess father was right, I should've never been born. For the first time, I let these thoughts surface. I knew I was still a shy, innocent girl, but inside, I would never be the same again....