Chapter 16: Jealousy

IMPORTANT A/N AT THE END OF THIS CHAPTER :)

*Rydel's POV*

Ellington wouldn't give me any details, I guess because he didn't know much.  So I was left to go through every possible scenario in my own thoughts. 

Is she hurt?  Is she gonna be okay?  Will the baby okay?  Did she...lose the baby?

I tried to clear these thoughts away from my mind, especially the one about losing the baby.  I hated to admit it but I couldn't deny it, but there was a slight flicker of hope that she loses the baby.  I know it makes me sound TERRIBLE but I just couldn't help the feeling.

I looked over at Ellington and saw how badly he was hurting.  He was concerned for his baby, the mother of his baby, and someone he had loved for nearly five years.

"I'm sure the baby and Kelly will be perfectly fine."  I placed my hand on his knee as I drove.  I almost felt guilty because I felt like I was lying to him when I saw they'll be okay.  I hated the feeling.

He didn't say anything.  I don't think he could. 

We got to her apartment.  We both ran up to the door and knocked. 

"Come...in!"  Kelly sobbed.  Ell opened the door and ran in with me behind him.  Kelly was laying on the couch, crying hysterically.  She was hyperventilating.

"Breathe, Kelly."  Ellington comforted her.  He was knelt by her on the couch, holding both of her hands tightly in his.  She lurched forward a couple of times and made a pained sound as she did so.

I knelt beside Ellington and held her hand too.

"Hey, you're okay."  I assured her.  She shook her head and cried harder.  She finally stopped crying and hyperventilating.  She looked at Ellington with a pained look.

"I lost it."  She cried.

"What?"  He asked.

"I miscarried."  She closed her eyes to avoid seeing Ellington hurt.  "The doctor told me today that I was going to lose the baby but hadn't yet.  And I just started bleeding about an hour ago.  I just lost the baby."

Ellington buried his face in her side.  She held his head against her while she clutched my hand in hers.  Ellington was quietly crying.  And I was too.  I suddenly felt so much guilt for wishing she lost the baby because now I didn't.  I realized how much they were hurting over it and wished it weren't true.

I laid my head down against Kelly's leg and Ellington's shoulder.  We stayed like this for maybe an hour.  Ellington sobered and stood up.  He paced around the apartment numerous times, shaking his head and running his hands through my hair.

"I'm so sorry, Ell."  Kelly sobbed.

"Don't apologize, it isn't your fault."  He said as he tried to hide his emotions.

"Rydel, can you leave us alone to talk?"  Kelly asked me.  I nodded and stood up, giving Kelly's hand one last squeeze before dropping it and leaving.  I sat in the car, listening to the radio as ran poured down.  Cliche, I know.

I was waiting in the car for a long time.  I was starting to wonder what they were talking about.  What they were doing.

My mom called again a little while later.  She was checking to see when I was coming home.  I texted Ell, saying I was leaving.

I waited for my brother to pull up to take me home.

"So what happened?"  Riker asked on the drive home.