Chapter 2: Holding Onto Sanity

*Rydel's POV*

Four weeks in a bus with the man of my dreams certainly sounds like something plenty of girls want. But I differ from them because I do not want to be crammed into a tiny living space with Ratliff as of the moment.

Ratliff and Kelly both tweeted the fans stating they weren't together anymore. They were all heart-broken, but I'm not gonna lie saying a TON of them tweeted Ratliff that he should get with me now. And I can't say I don't agree. But he seems awkward on the subject, and I don't blame him. I would be too if it was the other way around. And then there's the fact he still loves her. But whatever.

We played our first show of the tour in LA just a few hours ago and now we're on the road to San Fran. I'm laying in my bunk directly in front of Ratliff. Perfect, right? He's reading tweets on his phone, smiling at the occasional one. I'd smile a tiny bit when he smiled. He just has the perfect smile.

I decided to look through my mentions. The first one I saw was along the lines of "Has #Rydellington happened yet? @ratliffr5 @rydelr5". And just to my luck I found that #Rydellington is trending. Greaaat. I was figuring out a way to put the rumors to rest when mom walked in.

"Bed time, everyone!" She cheered. We all put our phones down and got comfortable. On the very bottom was Rocky and Riker's bunks, the middle was Ross and Ryland's, then me and Ratliff were at the top. Mom and Dad had a small bedroom at one end of the bus. We all said our good nights and went to sleep. Well, everyone else went to sleep. I couldn't. I've barely slept for three weeks. Okay, I've actually slept either not at all, for a short amount of time but pretty well, or the whole night but just dozing. So really, I was kind of lacking a good night's sleep.

I pretended to be asleep for a while, but I couldn't handle it. I pulled out my phone and played games for a while. Across from me I heard Ratliff stirring to life quietly.

"You okay?" I whispered to him. His eyes ever so slightly glinted in the low light.

"Bad dream," he whispered.

"Wanna talk about it?" I set my phone down and looked at him. I couldn't see anything but the small reflection of his eyes.

"I uh, I had a dream someone died in a car accident." He said nervously.

"Someone close to you?" I heard him shift in his bed a little.

"Someone very important to me." His eye's reflection disappeared but reappeared seconds later.

"Kelly?" My face dropped as I said her name. Even if Ratliff did like me, I'll never be Kelly; his first love. Several moments passed before he replied.

"Mmhmm." He hummed.

"I'm sorry Ratliff. Try to go back to sleep." I prayed that he didn't hear me almost crying. I heard him repositioning in front of me, then I saw something in my face. I wasn't sure what it was, so I lightly touched it. It was his hand. Before I got the chance to link my fingers with his, he clamped my whole hand in his.

"I can't sleep." He mumbled.

"Why are you holding my hand, Ratliff?" I whispered so quietly I thought it was part of my imagination until he responded.

"Just making sure you're really here." He whispered in a deep, choked tone. It sounded like he was about to cry. I pulled my hand away so I could re-link our fingers.

"I'm here."

---

I woke up the next morning with my hand still trapped in Ratliff's. Luckily, I was the only one awake. I pried my hand out of his and sat back in my bunk. I poked my head out to make sure no one was around. Everyone besides whoever is driving is asleep. I let a tear slip down my cheeks. I hate this. I hate him not knowing about the feelings I've recently developed for him. I doubt he feels the same way though...Maybe I should tell him?

I don't know what I'll do if I don't do something. I'm losing my mind and I don't know how much longer I can do this.

***sorry it's kinda short. 5+ votes for chapter 3?