Chapter XXXI: Now You Know

POV: Seth

I watched through the window as Char's car pulled into my driveway. She jumped out of the passenger seat, and the car pulled away, probably driven by Avalie. Why did she just drop off Char?

I opened the door and waved her inside, "Hey, what's up?"

"Seth we need to talk."

It was that line. I had watched enough movies to know what that line meant, "Char why are you doing this?"

"Seth, please. Just hear me out. You're a great guy, but something made me realize that I don't like you like that. I know I'm a total bitch for this Seth, but please don't hate me forever. I'm sorry." With that she kissed me on the cheek and headed out. She pulled out her phone, probably to call Avalie.

I didn't hate Char, I had never been good at that. I chased after her, "Char wait! I'll drive you there."

When she turned to look at me there were tears in her eyes, "Really?"

"Of course. Look, I don't hate you Char."

She sighed, "You would hate me if you knew why."

"Try me," I said, hiding my fear of the truth.

"Zach gave me this amazing confession about how he still has feelings for me, and it made me realize that I love him. I could be in love with him, I don't really know. I'm so sorry Seth, but it's how I feel." She was actually crying now, "This is so shitty of me!"

-Okay that definitely hurts.

No shit it hurts!-

"Look I'm not going to say this makes me happy, it doesn't. It definitely hurts, but I'm not going to hold it against you Char. I don't do that anymore." At least I was going to try not to.

"Seth you are truly an amazing guy. And you know, Avalie might be interested. I say you take a chance with her." She smiled hopefully.

It was nice of her to try, "Thanks Char, but I'm pretty sure I'm over her." I'd given up on that a while ago, and those feelings just kind of floated away over time.

She looked defeated, "Oh. Well some girl then!"

Her efforts to try and keep me upbeat were sweet. I pulled into Avalie's driveway and let Char out, "Bye."

She waved sadly and headed to the door.

I pulled out trying to ignore the loss I felt.

POV: Avalie

I let Char in and gave her a hug, "It's okay Char. Just think of Zach."

"Yeah," she smiled sadly.

I really hoped I had done the right thing in supporting Char's decision to break up with Seth. I knew how it looked, but I didn't encourage her so I could get to Seth! I did it for Zach, because that boy is head over heels!

I texted Zach and he promised me he would come up tomorrow.

Char smiled when I told her this, "I can't wait to tell him. Do you think he'll be happy?"

"Of course Char, he really likes you. Look I've been meaning to tell you this, I think I might like Seth."

Her mouth hung open, "You're the one who told me I should break up with him! How could you do that?"

I had expected her to be excited. I guess that was stupid of me, "No wait! It wasn't like that! I only encouraged you because I knew how much Zach likes you!" I was frantic.

"Suuuuure! That's why! We'll you want to know something? Seth doesn't like you? He liked you for the longest time, and you never gave a shit! And now he told me he's over you Avalie! You had a chance! A five year chance! And you blew it! So much for being my best friend!"

So many parts of what she just said hurt me like hell. Seth didn't like me, but he used to. I blew it. And I was her best friend! How could she not understand? "Char please?"

"I can't deal with this Avalie! I'm driving home!" With that, she left.

I didn't know what else to do, so I drove to Seth's house.

He let me in, "What's up?" He looked a little sad and defeated.

"How are you handling you're break up?"

"I honestly don't know Avalie, but I'll be fine. So why did you come?" Seth seemed so unapproachable right now, but I had to be able to trust him.

"Well Char and I kind of got in a fight." I explained the situation to him, leaving out the part about how I felt.

"So you told her to break up with me?" He didn't look happy.

"No, I just agreed! Seth you don't know how much Zach cares about her." I didn't want to upset him.

"Did you ever think about how I would feel? Because being dumped isn't exactly a tea party!" He was getting angry and I didn't know what to say.

"You want to know why I wanted this? Or at least supported it?"

"Yeah! I do actually!"

I hated that Seth was so mad at me. It felt like shit, "Mostly for Zach. I know that him and Char are meant for each other!"

"Oh! Well then? You want to tell me who is meant for me? Because you seem to know all about this stuff!"

"That's the thing Seth!" I was shouting now, "IT'S ME! I LIKE YOU SETH! A LOT! AND I LOVE HOW YOU'RE ALWAYS THERE FOR ME! AND HOW YOU'RE FUNNY AND MAKE ME LAUGH! YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND, BUT YOU'RE ALSO WAY MORE THAN THAT!"

-Don't cry, don't cry.-

I continued in a softer tone, "But I've been informed by Char that you're over me." Saying that made it even harder not to cry.

I had thought about a bunch of possible reactions he might have when I told him this. Somehow none of the scenarios prepared me for this.

"ISN'T THAT JUST GREAT!" He was furious.

-Why was he furious?-

"Why are you getting mad Seth?" I'm pretty sure I was crying now.

"AVALIE! I LIKED YOU FOREVER, AND IT NEVER MATTERED! AND NOW YOU DECIDE I'M GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU? WELL NO THANKS!" He looked ready to punch something.

Tears were streaming down my face, "I wish you would have told me." That was all I could say before I ran out.

I called the only person I had left. Daniel.

*******************************

I'm sorry that I didn't post yesterday! I've been really busy! I was frantically writing the end of it! Still I really like this chapter! How could Seth AND Char both get mad at her? A now she's going to go talk to Daniel about it, without knowing how much he likes her! Like agggh! So what did you think? Vote and comment? Also thank you so so so so SO MUCH for the 1k reads! Partay!!!!! Love you guys! xoxo

-cc