Chapter XXXVIII: Vacation Part II

POV: Seth

I dropped Avalie back into the water, letting the awkwardness melt away. If we were dating, I would have kissed her. Obviously we aren't. Why would we be? We don't like each other.

-Is that so?-

I thought back to when Avalie told me how much she liked me. It was right after Char had broken up with me. Soon after she had told me that she had been confused, and she didn't like me. I wonder if she really felt that way, or it was just because I was over her.

I needed to stop kidding myself, because I wasn't over her. How could I ever be over her? Maybe at the moment I had been angry, and when I dated Char I was distracted. No matter what I did though, Avalie would always be that beautiful girl I had known forever. I smiled and watched her jump on Daniel's back, as her laugh lit up her entire face.

-Do you not realize how stupid you are?

Huh?

You lost her dude. It's too late now.-

Damn it! Why can't I just make a smart decision for once. I got my chance! The chance I waited half my life for, and I decided to yell at her! Maybe it was how perfect this place was, but it had taken me till spring break to understand that I had made a giant mistake.

Not in the mood for swimming anymore, I told the others I was heading up. My footsteps felt heavy all the way to the hotel room. All the energy I had felt earlier had left my body. Exhausted, I stepped into the shower.

When I came out, everyone was back in the room.

"Hey Seth," Char called from her position on the couch, cuddled next to Zach.

"Hey. What'd you guys do after I left?"

"Not much," Zach said, "We were pretty beat."

I just nodded. Daniel sat next to Sage, and they looked like they were pretty deep into a conversation. If you asked me, they seemed to be hitting it off! I was happy for Daniel, Sage was pretty cute.

-If you ever told Zach that...

Wouldn't dream of it!-

Where does that leave me? Oh that's right, watching Avalie, cute as ever, curled up on the bed. Her hair was tangled and ratty, but she was adorable.

I plopped down on the couch next to Char, who was tapping away on her phone. She sat up excitedly, "Guys! Guess what?" She asked without giving us time to guess, "So I'm on the resort's website, and on the news page it says there's going to be a beach party tomorrow night with all the neighboring resorts! We have to go!"

"I'm in!" Zach smiled at her.

We all agreed, talking excitedly. All the noise woke up Avalie.

"What the hell is everyone being so loud about?" She asked with squinted eyes.

"Beach party tomorrow, now go back to sleep sweetie," I mocked her.

"Don't you call-"

But I guess she was too tired to finish her sentence, because she just shut up and laid down.

Everyone settled into bed after a while. I had to pick up Avalie and move her because she was in the wrong bed. When I lifted her she stirred a little and mumbled something. I couldn't make out what it was. I was tempted to kiss her as I set her down, but decided that would be weird. Instead I just pushed her hair back, and went to my own bed.

POV: Avalie

I woke up with some weird memory of being carried through a river and put on a raft, or something like that. What the hell was I dreaming about last night?