The New Years Kiss

Ana Lia Jones

    Christmas at camp was quiet, but nonetheless really fun. The amount of campers around was just about perfect for this time of year. You really see a different side of people when things like Christmas come out, so if we had the usual amount of campers here, this place would feel like an alien planet. Not to me of course. I'd be reading in the corner either way.

The best thing about Christmas at camp was that everybody got a present. Those without family to send them presents, received presents from their friends, and those without family or friends, got a present from Chiron. I really loved how thoughtful Chiron was about it. He would tell us that it was no big deal, and it was nothing, but it made all the difference to these loners. They're the type of people who float about, on good terms with everyone, but not actually speaking good, long, healthy conversations with people.

They didn't just receive the usual chocolate box gift that they got from people they barely knew. Chiron had actually put enough thought into these gifts so that they would smile, and appreciate it. Not that I don't appreciate a good chocolate box. I mean, chocolate. What else do I have to say? But, it's still nice to have a nice thoughtful gift on Christmas.

I had gotten gifts from Mousiki, Madison, Eliza, Annabeth, Fred, George, Draco, and even Lee. I had a nice group of people who I could consider friends and I was proud of that. They got me gifts, I got them gifts, but the real gifts that we all gave each other, was the gift of friendship. But in Draco's case, it was the gift of love. I had written a letter to him, wishing him a happy Christmas, which I had sent 3 days before December 24th, for it would probably take a while for it to get there. But today it was December 30th and he still had not replied, or showed any sign that he had even read my letter.

It was December 30th and we were heading back to Hogwarts today. We would be spending New Years with our group of wizarding friends, and I wasn't sure if I should be excited or terrified. I read a fat book of 1000 pages as I sat in the Big House with Madison, Eliza, Mousiki, and Kaly. I sat beside Eliza who was reading a copy of the Daily Prophet. Then, across the room, Madison, Kaly, and Mousiki all sat together, deep in conversation. Chiron was in a separate room, apparently trying to figure out how we were going to get back to Hogwarts.

After 30 long minutes of waiting for him, he rolled himself into the room in wheelchair form.

"Everyone, gather around." he said, while gesturing for us to all come over to him.

I nudged Eliza in the shoulder. She looked up from her newspaper, confused for a moment. I pointed at Chiron, and she nodded and tucked the prophet into her trunk, before joining the rest of us.

"So we have a bit of a problem." Chiron announced.

"How big of a problem?" Mousiki asked at once.

"Let him finish." I hissed at her.

"He's only spoken 11 words, and you've already interrupted. Great job there, mate." Eliza said, smiling as she did.

Chiron simply smiled his warm smile at us, and said, "It's not big of a problem. It's just that you have to go on a bit of an adventure, which I'm sure you'll be fine with."

An adventure. Those were the words that Chiron had chosen to describe this. I didn't know what was going on, but at the word 'adventure', my senses suddenly felt sharper, as I listened in.

"So, I have contacted mom, and-"

"You were talking to your mom?" Madison asked, interrupting Chiron.

She clearly didn't mean to do that, and the word had just gotten to her, for she mumbled sorry, and lowered her chin.

"It means Ministry of Magic." Mousiki whispered to her. "M.O.M."