The New Girl

I sat at the Hufflepuff table beside Justin Finch-Fletchey and this other kid I didn't know. I don't exactly talk to my house that much alright? We've been through this. Though, the kid had her head turned since she was talking to her friends, and Justin was turned over as well since he was talking to Hannah and Susan. I had my iPod Nano and was listening to music with my headphones during the end-of-the-year feast. I didn't really want to pay attention in a feast, celebrating Slytherin's victory. The room was decorated in green and silver and it was Slytherin's 7th win in a row. Why did this have to happen? I know that extra points are supposed to be given out, but what the books didn't tell you, was how torturous it is before Harry comes in. I wished I could sit at the Gryffindor table, only Madison could make me laugh at a time like this. She could probably have me ending up on the floor laughing. Just making me laugh is a very serious death emergency situation. I might even settle for sitting at the Ravenclaw table with Ana, she would at least make me smile. Then, the moment I was waiting for, Harry Potter walked in the room. For a moment, the room was silent. Then, everyone started talking at the exact same time. Harry slipped his way into the seat in between Ron and Hermione. I felt kind of bad for Harry when things like this happened. People were standing up, trying to get a good look at him. However, once Dumbledore arrived, everyone quieted down. I slipped off my headphones and listened to his speech.

"Another year gone!" Dumbledore said cheerfully. "And I must trouble you with an old man's wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were... You have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts... Now, as I understand it, the House Cup here needs awarding and the points stand thus: in fourth place, Gryffindor, with three hundred and twelve points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw have four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two."

The Slytherin table began to cheer and shout and go crazy. I could even see Draco Malfoy banging his goblet on the table.

"Yes, yes, well done Slytherin," said Dumbledore, "However, recent events must be taken into account."

The room went still, and the Slytherin' smiles faded a little, while I simply smirked to myself. Dumbledore saw this however and winked, which made me look behind me, and over at the Gryffindor table to see if Harry was still seated, or if he was behind the Hufflepuff table.

"Ahem," said Dumbledore. "I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes... First - to Ronald Weasley..."

I looked over to where Ron was seated at the Gryffindor table, and almost laughed out loud when I saw his purple face.

"... For the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

The Gryffindors cheered and it seemed that the stars above quivered for a moment. I laughed as Percy shouted to the other prefects, "My brother, you know! My youngest brother! Got past McGonagall's giant chess set!"

Once there was silence again, Dumbledore continued.

"Second - to Miss Granger... For the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor house fifty points."

Everyone was now turned toward the Gryffindor table, searching for them. I finally spotted her and she had her face buried in her arms.

"Third - to Harry Potter ..." said Dumbledore. The room went silent. "... For pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house sixty points."

Those who could add easily were cheering and shouting, but I noticed others pausing and thinking about it. I could normally add quickly, but I already forgot what the original points were. However, I remembered from the books that they were now exactly tied with Slytherin for first.
Dumbledore raised his hand. The room gradually fell silent.