Chapter 2

Alistair's POV

Alpha; A title of great respect in the pack. A powerful position that many would give anything to have. Surely a perfect person like that should have someone just as admired to stand beside them, right?

I continued to reassure myself with that thought, watching as people rushed back and forth to set things up for tomorrow. The celebration was less than a day away, and my heart was already racing.

Forcing myself to sit down on a nearby bench, I could feel my nerves pounding in my head as I imagined everything that could go wrong. What if she doesn't want me? What if I don't get a mate at all? What if my mate is male? I shuddered at the last thought. How could I ever get a male mate? I'm the Alpha! I can't  continue the bloodline of my mate is a guy!

Besides, who would ever think that a guy is fit to be Luna? Anyway, my mate is going to be a girl. How do I know? I know my wolf wouldn't pick a guy, he chooses a mate that fits us! That means no lower ranking wolves either. The Luna must be a respected woman, so she would have to be a Beta. No Omegas.

Sighing, I looked up at the pack house behind me, finally noticing a figure in one of the windows above. He looked slightly annoyed as he stared down at the passerby below. I thought for a moment, matching his face to a name. Then, it came to me. Owen. Owen Lykos. The Omega. Everything I don't want in a mate.

I know it seems harsh to describe him that way, but how else should I describe him? Not only is he the Omega, but he's a guy. Most Omegas are female, so a male Omega is pretty rare. But that also means that our pack, which is well-known for having strong, brave pack members, has a weak link. So, in a way, he brings the pack down.

Most people wanted to get rid of him, but his parents were good people, and so no one said anything. Owen watched for a moment longer, before he suddenly turned around. Surprised, I sat up. Where did he go? What happened?

I watched for a moment longer before coming to my senses and sitting back. Why do I care? Our positions in the pack couldn't be any more different. Besides, I don't think I've ever even spoken to Owen. I've seen him around the pack before, but not often. Even then, I never tried to initiate a conversation.

"Alistair? What's wrong?" Startled, I looked down at the person in front of me. My mother stood with a worried look on her face. I shook my head. "It's nothing..." She looked suspicious, but nodded anyway. "So, are you excited?" I shrugged, pretending to be calm despite the fast pace of my heart. "Who isn't? I mean, tomorrow is my birthday."

This time, my mother smiled. "Yes, I know. And I want you to know how proud I am of you. Your father and I are just as excited to see who your mate will be." I blushed slightly, thinking of who it might be. "Now, Alistair, I want to talk to you about your mate." Her tone had changed, and I knew she was serious. "No matter who your mate is, I want you to promise me you'll care for them." I nodded. "I promise. I'll care for my mate no matter who it is." As long as it's a girl. She studied my face for a moment, then her expression softened.

I waited for my mother to leave before slumping over, leaning back on the bench. Seriously, what is she thinking? Doesn't she know I can't have an heir with a male mate? Besides, there is no way I'm mating with someone of the same gender. It's disgusting. If I get a male mate, I'm rejecting him before anyone can realizes that he's my mate.