five | MISSING

photo is camila mendes as veronica lodge

***

"What? How do you even know it's Anthony?"

Luna refused to believe it, Anthony was definitely not missing, he couldn't have been.

Veronica squeezed Luna's hand, her face looking shocked and confused, a mirror image of Luna's.

The squeeze reminded Luna that Veronica was there and she pulled her closer, feeling a bit less alone.

"Well," the officer pulled out a wallet. "we fished out this in the water, along with Jason's."

Luna hastily took the wallet from the officer.

She opened it with such force, it ripped in half, and it's contents fell from the wallet, and onto the moist grass.

Luna sank to her knees, scrambling to get whatever she could from the ground, checking gift cads, old notes which looked like it had Anthony's handwriting – but it couldn't have been his handwriting – and money.

The pitiful officer, who had also gotten to his knees, had been the one to find the I.D.

He tapped Luna on the shoulder, and her head snapped up, who tear rimmed eyes looking directly into his.

He handed the I.D to her, back up, and Luna took it gingerly.

She closed her eyes, please don't let this have his picture, don't let this have his information, don't let the details describe him.

She opened her eyes again, this time a tear fell down her face, but she bit her lip, her hands shaking as she turned the I.D over.

Anthony Martinez.

Eye color, blue.

Height, 5'9.

At this point Luna chucked the I.D across the grass, putting her face into her hands and crying.

She let the tears fall free, and she couldn't breathe.

Veronica fell to her knees, holding Luna as she struggled to gain control of her body and mind.

"No, no, no, this isn't happening, it can't be happening," Luna cried into her hands, her body shaking violently as Veronica had her arms wrapped around Luna.

"Sh, baby, it'll be alright I–"

"No!" Luna looked up all of a sudden, staring at Veronica. "no it won't! You can never know what it's like to not know how your family is! If they're safe, if they–"

At this point Veronica's sympathetic look had turned to a look of pure anger, "What the hell do you mean? You must be completely goddamn deaf and blind to have not heard what happened to me? The shit I've endured, sure isn't yours. But you can't compare someone's problems to your own, you, you–"

Veronica struggled to find words.

"You bitch!"

She stood up, walking away angrily, her hands curled into fists as she stomped away from an utterly shocked Luna.

Veronica marched all the way to her own house, all the way to her room, all the way to her bed, and all the way under the covers.

***

It was one week after school began – 2 hours after the first bell had rang – that Luna had finally decided to step into the school.

No one knew her, but she was angry.