twenty-three | PHOBIA

warning: more homophobic assholes

Luna was more than unhappy with Cheryl but she didn't bother being angry with her, it wasn't her fault, really, was it?

Peer pressure had gotten the best of her, and she had succumbed. If she hadn't, who knows what would have happened to her reputation?

But was her reputation more important than her girlfriend's happiness?

Cheryl felt horrible as she sat outside the dressing room, waiting for Luna to walk out.

She was going shopping with her, and Luna had enough money to buy something.

For some reason, she had gone to the dress store but told her to wait for her outside.

Cheryl couldn't imagine Luna in a dress, it was already rare that she'd wear a skirt, so she didn't know what to expect.

She turned around when she heard her name, only for her mouth to be left agape.

Luna was there in a suit, her hair pulled into a top bun, "I'll my hair better, you know?"

It was a black and white traditional suit jacket and dress shirt. It fit her perfectly and Cheryl couldn't be more proud.

"You want to wear this to Homecoming?" Cheryl asked.

Luna nodded slowly.

"This is amazing," Cheryl smiled, kissing the girl in front of her on the lips.

"Stop, we're in public," Luna shook her head, smiling.

"So? Straight couples get to do it," Cheryl frowned.

"It's not a matter of 'straight and gay', it's just gross," Luna shrugged and Cheryl groaned.

"You have a point."

Cheryl had started talking but it was kind of tuned out as Luna started to notice the looks of borderline disgust she was getting from the other patrons of the store.

"Excuse me?" she turned to see a worker. "do you want to buy that suit?"

"Yes," Cheryl stepped in, standing up. "she does."

"Well, um, okay," the worker seemed confused and sort of repulsed as Cheryl held Luna's hand.

She moved it away and crossed her arms, Cheryl looking at her from the side in confusion and hurt.

"On second thought, I'd like to keep looking," Luna smiled.

The retail worker, with a name tag that read Farah, walked away with a smile and shake of the head.

"What the hell was that?" Cheryl asked. "you really wanted that suit?"

Luna looked around again at the people looking at her in the store and she suddenly felt extremely self-conscious.

"Maybe we shouldn't go to Homecoming..."

"What, why?"

"I mean, me, you have to go, you know?"

Cheryl shook her head, "Are you kidding me? Please come, you were so excited and now you don't want to go? I don't want you to do something you'll regret."

"It's for my safety, Cheryl," Luna tried to explain. "right now I don't even want to go to school, let alone shop."

Cheryl furrowed her brows and looked around, suddenly noticing all the lingering eyes, whispers, and gestures towards them that were happening.

She looked at Luna again, "Hey-"

"I don't think we should do this anymore."

Cheryl never knew that 8 words could actually shatter her heart into a million pieces. Or maybe she was hurt because of the person it was coming from.