Chapter 38: You Die, I Die Too

*Tris POV*

As John and I walk through the Dauntless dining hall I can't help but look around with excitement. It is full of people, loud cheers, and laughter, it reminds me what my life was like before the attack on Abnegation. For a short time at least. I do notice that not everyone is wearing all black. You can see there is no definite indication of faction due to color of clothes. It is wonderful to see.

For a moment I imagine what my life would have been like if there had been no war, and I was just the first in my initiation class and able to really start my life in Dauntless. My first choice at a job, my own apartment, actually had a normal dating relationship with Tobias – verses having immediately gone through so many obstacles and challenges from the start. Let's not forget, all the Dauntless Cake I could hope for.

"Hurry it up John! This may be the most important part of my visit to Chicago. We have to hurry before they run out." I call to him as I am speed walking to the kitchen.

"Really Ms. Prior? So much effort for some cake?" John mutters as he trails behind me. He now sounds grumpy.

I laugh at him, "How far along is your wife? Because I have an idea that will make you the number one husband in the world."

John shakes his head as we arrive to the kitchen area, "The baby should be here in seven months. My wife is about as uncomfortable as you can imagine, morning sickness and all - - and I am actually afraid what the next seven months will be like." Then quickly adding, "But of course I do whatever I can to make her feel better and help where I can."

Johanna had gotten me in contact with the Dauntless kitchen before I arrived to Chicago, so my package had been packed up and placed in a special cooler. I don't even care that I will need to carry this thing around for the rest of the evening, it is so worth it. I ask John to get us two seats at an open table and to just trust me. He looks at me wearily.

I am able to get one extra piece of cake, and I cut it in half so we can each have our own piece. I even get us each a small glass of milk. When I sit down and offer John his piece, his eyebrows knit and I can see that he looks less than excited.

"Just try it. Take a bite. Trust me." I say as a place a forkful into my mouth and close my eyes. Forgetting about John for a moment, forgetting about how it should have been Luke on this trip with me sharing this cake, forgetting about how the Tobias that I deeply love is gone and I keep pining after a shell of a man that is just not him. And I enjoy my damn cake, tremendously.

"Holy shit this is the best cake I have ever tried!!!" John laughs, breaking my quiet moment with my own cake and thoughts. His enthusiasm makes me laugh as well.

"Oh, you like the cake?" I ask smugly and smile at him. He rolls his eyes.

"Yes, Ms. Prior. I like the cake – I stand corrected." John concedes.

I point to my small soft cooler that fits into the backpack I brought along for this purpose. I promise John that as soon as we get back to the bureau I will personally cut him a piece from my cake so that he can bring it to his wife. Every pregnant woman should get the chance to enjoy a piece of Dauntless cake. He smiles at me and says thank you.

I then notice that his eyes shift down and he clears his throat. The hairs on the back of my neck rise up.

"Is something wrong John?" I ask, putting my fork down and giving him my full attention.

"Luke warned me that you are very perceptive. I wasn't supposed to say anything, but I think it will be worse if I leave your imagination to run wild. I spoke with Luke just a couple of hours ago. The Rebel group is causing terror in the city of Providence." John spits out.