Chapter 3: Jacqueline

Father drove to school in my little, beat up, old Ford pick up. We lived a little bit out of town, so it took only twenty minutes to drive to the other side of town. I had the radio on and was listening to a random station, just for background noise. We took a left turn into the small drop off lane and I took a deep breath.

"You will make it." He said.

I step out of the car and into the busy parking lot. Students running to meet up with friends, dropping essays, and walking into school. I leaned over my seat and grab my bag. I checked to make sure my laptop and my earbuds were in there. I hate listening to people distract me all class period, much less just teachers rambling on with them.

I walk down the sidewalk, through the common area, to the cafeteria. I went through the line, grabbing a blueberry parfait and a milk and headed over to my table were my two friends sat. Christine, my best friend since kindergarten, and someone we will get to later.

"Hey." I mutter.

"Hey Jackie! What's up?"

"Nothing really..."

"Well, you will never guess this." Christine interrupts.

I sigh, "What happened?"

"There is this new hot guy who moved here, like Jake can't even deny it."

Jake is my other friend. He has liked guys ever since his own Maria crisis. He had dated several girls to try to like girls, but his last girlfriend was Maria. When her left her and went to guys, he went from being in football, baseball, and hanging with his friends, to alone and helpless as Maria dragged him in the dirt.

"He is so cute Jackie. Seriously, look there he is!" Christine whisper-shouted.

I saw a guy walking through the common area to the double doors to the cafeteria and swing them open. He had suave, nice jawline, dark hair, and dark skin, but he just had this whole bad boy aurora around him. That was the last thing I needed. I watched as he asked others for something, pinging from person to person.

The only problem was, he was headed straight for my table.

"Hey," His voice was deep, "I'm Stefan Chavez, I was told a girl named Jacqueline will be my mentor? I have been looking all morning and I was sent over here so..."

I was taken aback at the sheer sight of him.

"I'm her..."