Chapter 22: Jacqueline

I drove up to the sullen marble building. I watched as my Father and Peta left the car. She gripped his hand tight and looked at the courthouse. A tear escaped from her eye.

"Father, what will happen to Jackie?" She asked in her small voice.

"Nothing, Peta. I won't let anything happen to her." His voice was firm, but Jacqueline could see through the facade he was playing.

Alex stepped out of his car. He walked over to my rolled down window.

"Are you ready?" He reached in and turned off the ignition.

"No."

I just wanted to be at home, in my room, with Alex watching a terrible movie and eating my favorite chips.

I got out of the car and walked with Alex inside. Then, I saw her. She was walking with a man with light hair and pale skin. He looked over for a second, his face changed, softened, and then he looked back. Jordan was with them. He had a smirk on his face, like he knew exactly what was going to happen. Like he already knew they won.

I knew what was going to happen. I just didn't want to have to face it. I was clinging to the hope that maybe, just maybe, they found a reason for me to not stay with my mom.

"Jackie," Peta said tugging at my sleeve.

"Yeah." I said looking at her.

"I love you." I pulled her towards me and gave her a hug.

"I love you too." I smoothed her soft hair behind her ear. I took a deep breath and stood back up.

"Come on. It is time to go inside."

*******

They were lined along a bench, almost too pristine to be able to tell they have ever had a secret. But, don't we all have one secret to hide? I watched them while I went and sat next to Father. Alex sat behind us and reached to hold my hand.

"Order." A female voice rings over the sound of the gavel.

Lawyers began to talk and use persuasive words as to turn the jury over to their side. Father got a public defendant and they only got to talk for a little bit earlier this week. He was deflated and almost gone. He went to work, came home, and went to his study. He never left until about 10 o'clock every night.

After hours of evidence and reasoning and arguing, we finally finished for the day. Almost as soon as I was out of my seat, Alex was there.

"Jackie, how are you holding up?" He took my hand.

"Good I guess."

"Stop lying, I can tell you aren't."

"I just don't want to have to talk in front of them and tell them what my mom did. In order to stay, I will have to testify though."

He looked sad, not only that but tired. Exhausted.

"Have you been sleeping, Alex?" I said looking him in the eyes.

"Not really." He said. "I have been worried about you."

We walked out of the courthouse I turned and looked at him.

"You don't need to worry about me." He looked at me.

"I just don't want you to leave..." He said. "I know it is selfish of me to say that, but you are mine."

He leaned in close to my face.

"I don't want to lose you."

His lips touched mine and his arms wrapped around my waist. I let my arms rise and rest on his shoulders. I broke the kiss and leaned on my car.

"Come on, I got to go get some pictures. I have a project due in a few days. Tonight is supposed to have the clearest sky."

"One more." He said leaning in again.

His lips touched mine and I kissed him back. It almost felt too short, then he left. I sat there on my car door for a minute then got in and turned the ignition. I hummed along to the radio and drove around for awhile. I needed a picture worth every word I wanted to say.

*****************

"My decision is simple. Peta will remain with her father. Jacqueline will go back to her biological parents. Visitations will be once a month and for the first year they will be supervised." The judge pursed their lips.

"Case dismissed."

I could feel the cold tear trickle down my cheek. How? How did he lose me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Double post! My apologies for not posting! I will try to post again before the end of this month!