Chapter 21: Alex

I can tell she is hurting. It is killing her. She barely smiles for real anymore. She only smiles when I ask if she is okay. It's almost as if she is fading away. Like a bag in the wind, her emotions are erratic. It is hell to try to keep her from crying all the time.

Court is in one week. I really hope I can keep as much of her as I can through this. I know it is selfish but I need her. She is the only one there for me right now. 

I walk up to her front door. This is the third time this week I have been over here. I just can't be near my phone. If she texts again, I don't know if I can stop myself from answering. I am going to have to tell her about it. Right now isn't the time though.

"Hey, Jackie." I walked in the door and gave her a hug.

"Hey..." Her voice monotones and empty.

"Jacqueline. We are going somewhere today." Her head snapped up.

"What?" She looked startled.

"We are going out, I don't know where yet, but we are leaving."

I sighed. We stood there for a little before I held her close to me.

"Ever since all of this drama started, I have lost you. It's time to bring you back."

Her eyes showed her familiar light and she stopped trying to wriggle out of my grasp.

"Where to, my love?" I smiled.

"Everywhere." I said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We drove around town all day long. First we went to the mall. I bought her a few things and she bought me a new pair of shoes, even though I told her not to. Then we went and bought ice cream. I thought it was adorable when a little girl dropped her cone and she gave her ice cream to her. I almost thought that this was perfect. Then, she got a text.

"Okay. No more cell service. Let's go." I grabbed her wrist and we got in the car.

"Where are we going?" She said scrolling through her phone.

"I don't know. Let's find out."

My phone buzzed in the cup holder. I flinch and put the car in drive. 'Can't she just shut up?' I think to myself. We drove till we hit the coastline. It was a beautiful drive and the scenery was amazing.

"Are you going to answer it?" Jackie said.

"No."

"Why?" She said leaning in for the cup holder.

I grabbed my phone and looked. Of course it was her. I can't ruin this for Jacqueline.

"It was just an ad thing from a website asking me to call this number for rewards."

"Oh." I knew she knew I was lying, but she didn't press.

We sat in silence for a few minutes and then we pulled in.

"The beach?" She said.

"Yeah, I find it very calming." By this time it was around five o'clock and the sky was turning into a deep array of colors.

"Jacqueline," I said, my voice soft as if I would scare her away if I spoke to loud.

"I don't want to lose you. You are the most important thing to me right now, and if I lost you...."

"You won't lose me. I would never leave you." Her voice leaked from her lips.

"Promise?" He said.

"I promise."