Chapter 10: Jacqueline

"That's when I took Peta to Grandmother's house."

Christine looked shocked. When I got to her house she was binge watching Pretty Little Liars on Netflix and was almost asleep. She saw me with tears on my face and took me straight into her house.

"Dude, here." She passed me her bag of Takis.

"Thanks."

We were quietly eating the tortilla chips for a few minutes until she broke the silence.

"What will you do?" She asked.

I lick the spicy seasoning that has built up on my thumb off.

"I am going to go to school. I am going to keep Peta at Grandmother's. I am going to keep living."

"What about Jordan?"

"What do you mean?"

"Won't he have to go to school?"

"He is older than me. I don't even know if I should call him Brother. I have never grown up with him. He is only my brother by blood."

"I get what you mean. Chelsi's dad has four kids with his wife. He also has another with someone else." Christine reached for a chip.

"I don't think anyone should deal with this shit." I said.

"Agreed."

"I am not even mad at Father for not telling me. I didn't want to know about this, because I wouldn't feel like a disgrace."

"You are not a disgrace Jacqueline."

"I don't even know why she wants to take us."

"My guess is the attack was staged. She is probably back with Jordan's dad and is a druggie now."

"You're probably right. She was thinner and paler."

"Well, if she is you won't leave."

"I guess that is good."

~~~~~~

School was torture the next day. People stared at me. I had no clue why though. Only Christine and maybe Jake knew what was going on. Everyone still looked at me as though I had two heads though.

Then I saw him.

His bag was pulling down his left shoulder, and he had her same stride.

Jordan was at school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~