Chapter 7: Jacqueline

The morning proved to be uneventful. I was more focused on what my challenge was after school. The Regional Art Show was two weeks away and I needed a group of photos to put into the show. I didn't even know where to start. I was thinking, and it wasn't until went over and tapped on my shoulder that I realized the bell rang for lunch. I grabbed my bag and walked to the lunch room alone. I went and sat with my normal salad and milk at our table and relaxed for a little bit, Christine and Jake were caught up taking the Chemistry test. I sat picking at my salad and listening to music through my earbuds.

Tap.I pull an earbud out.

"Yeah?"

"Is this seat taken?" Stefan's voice comes through my now exposed ear.

"No." I say although Christine usually sits there.

Christine and Jake come in sit across from us. We begin to chat about random things and I even tell him about my heritage, which not many people know.

"It's the luck of the gene." I say.

"I guess so." Stefan says with a laugh. "So, you know how you warned me about Maria?"

"Yeah." My face blushes involuntarily with embarrassment.

"Well, you are right. And we may have a problem."

"We?" I said. "What did you do?"

"She invited me to be her plus one to the party Friday and I said I was already taking someone."

"Well...?" I was afraid of what he was going to say next, and my suspicions were confirmed when he said,"I want to take you."

My anxiety levels spike. "I.. I don't know...."

He smirks, "It will be fun, come on."

I took a deep breath and exhale.

"I guess."

I got up to use the bathroom and run to the photography room. There I could find myself again. I grab my charged camera and ask my photography teacher to email my last period teachers that I will be out working for the show. I grabbed my camera and drove. I didn't know where I was going.

I had my music on to have some inspiration, and to avoid what was going on in my head. I look over to a little pond I was crossing and see it, the perfect picture to add to my album. I park and get out my camera, careful to not waist a second. I whip it out and stand adjusting the lens. I sit and as the sun hit the water perfectly, I snapped.

Click, Click, Click.

Turn.

Click, Click, Click.

I turn off the camera and get in my car. I didn't realize how long I was driving until I see the time, six o'clock pm.

"Dammit."

I turn the car around and start on my way to the house. I turn on my phone and see several missed calls from Dad, Christine, Jake, and Stefan. Most from Dad. Almost twenty of them. I knew I was in for it tonight. Not to mention the thirty threatening text. There was someone at my house. Someones. I needed to meet them.

I drove fast. I made it to my house in about half an hour. When I pulled into the driveway I spotted a familiar VW Bug. It made my heart skip a few beats. I hurried faster and went to get my bag out of the backseat. My dad stood on the porch, he looked worried, furious, and nervous. I walk up on the porch and he grips my arm.

"Don't show her any happiness. She will use it against me."

"Who?" I was too afraid to look.

The door opens and I see my mom.

"Hi baby!"