Chapter 8

There is so much noise coming from the kitchen that it almost sounds as if a war has broken out in my apartment. I sigh softly before begrudgingly opening my eyes. The spot next to me in bed is empty and as I run my hand over the dent my fingers are met with the cool caress of sheets that haven't been occupied for at least an hour. I glance over at the clock and see that it is only seven thirty...on a Saturday morning.

   In the distance I can hear the faint clattering of pans and latter the sound of so,etching frying. The covers fall from my body smoothly, the soft sheets sliding over my bare back. My hands press into the divot where my fiancé is supposed to be. My Yuri isn't where he is supposed to be on one of our rare days off from practice. I throw my legs over the side of the bed and start to head down the hallway. This morning was supposed to begin with me waking up to find Yuri lying next to me, not missing from my sight. I can hear Yuri humming quietly as I get closer to the kitchen. 

   His dark hair is still tousled from sleep and he is wearing the same clothes that he had worn to bed last night. I cover my mouth slightly with my fingertips. No matter how irritated I can get with this man his sheer beautiful aura always destroys my grip on my frustration. How am I supposed to stay upset with someone as adorable as my Yuri? It's impossible! Especially when he is dressed like that. Is he wearing the boxers I like underneath that baggy shirt? I suppose there is only one way to find out.

   Yuri is mindlessly cracking eggs into a pan, humming to himself softly. He is completely oblivious that I am even in the kitchen. Or ,to be more precise, just how close to him I really am. I am so close to him that if I took one more step I could probably touch him, but I'm not going to. Yet.  I want to watch Yuri be peaceful and relaxed for a little while longer. Things have been so tense between us lately that it is good to see that Yuri can finally be able to relax again. It is in moments like this that almost make me wish that Yuri and I had never left Japan in the first place.

   His body goes rigid with shock as I wrap my arms around his waist and a startled noise escapes him as I rest my chin on his shoulder. I smile softly as he struggles to control his breathing and keep his heart from beating out of his chest. I snuggle into his neck and plant a gentle kiss on the skin that is revealed there and feel all of his muscles relax as he realizes just what is happening. 

   "Good morning." I whisper softly. 

   "Victor!" He wiggles slightly in my grip. "You scared the hell out of me." 

   "It wasn't my intention." I murmur. Yuri grumbles something to himself in Japanese as he slides the finished egg out of the pan and onto a plate. I watch him with silent fascination as he cracks another egg into the pan with a single hand. It would appear that living and working at a hot springs resort has given Yuri some experience with cooking and cleaning. He is so good at all of these things, I feel almost inferior to him when it comes down to basic life skills.

   "Are you going to let go of me soon?"

   "Do you want me to?" 

   "I don't know honestly." He mutters. "It's a bit hard to cook like this." 

   "You seem to be managing just fine." 

   "Says the person constricting all of my movement." He protests lightheartedly. 

   "Just think about it Yuri, you'll be able to cook like this for the rest of your life." I reply teasingly. "I'll be holding onto you forever." 

   "Is that supposed to be motivational?" Yuri mumbles. 

   "It could be, if you allow it." I plant a gentle kiss on his cheek and watch as his cheeks glow a faint shade of red. He really is too cute for me. Yuri leans his face against me slightly and I smile as I press our cheeks together. "I think this is the earliest that I have ever seen you up since you've come here." 

   "I'm trying to get over the jet lag...This had seen like the best option." He murmurs as he serves up the second plate of eggs. I glance at him out of the corner of my eye as he continues to fumble around with pots and pans on the stove. Cooking was his way of getting over his exhaustion? He always seems to find an interesting way to deal with things in his life. 

   "Is it helping you at all?"

   "I suppose so." He replies with a shrug. "It's a bit too soon to tell for certain."

   "Yuri, we should go on a date today." I whisper into his ear. 

   "Victor, we have to practice today." 

   "We don't have practice today." I remind with a slight note of protest. 

   "But we should still practice." 

   "We are going to get our assignments for our qualifying skates in a few weeks, you are ready for your performance so one day will not harm you." 

   "Victor, are you ready?" 

   "Don't be silly Yuri, I'm a five time world-champion. Even if I wasn't ready, I would still be able to fake it and win a gold medal." 

   "Don't be so overconfident." Yuri says sternly as he stares me down. "You never know what will happen when you are out on the ice." 

   "There is no need for you to worry about me." I whisper as I kiss him gently on the top of his nose. "All I want to think about today is how much fun we are going to have on our date, after we eat the breakfast you just made." 

   "You're not going to let this one go are you?"

   "Not in the slightest." I remark as I reach around him and grab my designated plate and head over to the kitchen table, Yuri trailing behind me begrudgingly.