Blankets on the Beach

It had been 26 months since he had last walked down a South Side block as a truly free man. He thought it would feel better, more exhilarating, but darkness rested on his shoulders, heavy and oppressive. He had dreamed of these very streets while he lay on his prison cot. In his mind, the cityscape had been brighter, alight with hope for the future, illuminated by Ian. Now, everything looked dirtier, more run down. His eyes had changed after he saw the ocean, so vast and wide, cerulean and crisp until it met the sky, blended and fused. He had spent hours just staring at that union, wondering where one began and the other ended. He used do the same with pale skin, but that was a lifetime ago.

The Alibi looked different, too. Emptier. It was late afternoon and there was no Kermit, no Tommy, no Kev. Mickey had spoken to Svetlana over the past several months, so he knew that Kev and V had kicked her out after she tricked them into signing over the deed for the Alibi. He didn't blame them, but he always thought they were stupid as hell to not see through Lana. She was a survivor; she'd do anything she could do to get ahead. Though her actions were industrious, it didn't look like it was working out so well for her.

She was leaning on the bar, talking to three women who were sitting on stools sipping their glasses of wine. When her eyes caught Mickey's, her breath hitched in her throat. She knew he was coming home but seeing him there, unshackled, standing in the middle of the room where he had his first taste of genuine freedom all those years ago, was startling, "Mickey," She uttered softly. She fought the urge to run and hug him. Though they had hugged before, it didn't feel right in that moment. Things were going to start settling, becoming normal again in some capacity. There was no need to emote, not like she had before. She showed her affection by grabbing an Old Style and peeling the cap off with her bottle opener. She slid it across the bar to Mickey.

"Where is everyone?" He asked taking a seat on the bar stool. He brought the beer to his lips and relished in the taste of the cool, hoppy liquid pouring down his throat, "Get one for him, too."

Zev sat down next to him and gave Svetlana a charming smile. She narrowed her eyes at him, skeptically, "Who are you?"

"Zev, Lana, Lana, Zev," Mickey introduced half-heartedly. He really wanted to just bond with his beer in silence. It had been too long.

"Ah, you are the one who speaks to me on the phone," Svetlana recognized, her expression softening, "Mickey's Mexico friend."

"That's me," Zev confirmed, "A pleasure to see you in person. I was not expecting you to be such an..." He paused and gave her a cheeky smile, "...exquisite beauty."

"Oh fuck me," Mickey groaned rubbing his palm against his forehead, wishing them both away.

"Awww, Mick, you know that you're my number one, baby!" Zev assured him looping his arm around Mickey's shoulder and pulling him in close.

Svetlana's eyes widened at the action and hummed when she realized Mickey didn't punch him in the face. Interesting, "Mandy is home, like you asked. She lives with me, Yevvy and Iggy, like demented family."

"And she's helping with Yevgeny?" Mickey asked raising his eyebrows. He loved Mandy, he really did, but she got distracted easily, particularly by men.

"Yes, she works at the squirrel head diner. We have alternating schedules. When I work, she's with Yevgeny. It was not a bad idea you had, especially after..." She paused, "The conscious un-thruppling."

"Where'd you hear that shit?" Mickey asked with a smirk.

"I read this in a magazine. I liked it," Svetlana replied, shrugging.

"And she doesn't know about me? The DEA?" Mickey questioned. He found it hard to believe that Svetlana would have been able to keep it a secret.

"Well..." Svetlana began, prompting Zev to plug up his ears and begin to sing 'Lalala,' showing that he didn't want to be privy to any further information. It was of the utmost importance to the higher-ups that Mickey's involvement with the DEA be top secret until he finished his training. People being aware of his deal would have been an incredible liability for the agency, "When you told me to tell her to move home, I told her that you said so. I did not want to act as if I needed her help," Svetlana scoffed as if the idea was ludicrous, "So she asked some questions, about your 'prison break' and such. I just told her, you'd be home soon. I did not say why or how."