Chapter 1

"And I'm so proud to be here today, to see just a small portion of the invaluable work that Save the Children UK does for young people all over the world." Jackie looked up from her notes, her eyes scanning the faces in the crowd. "When I visited Syria in December, I saw scenes of horror, more tragedy in one week than I've seen in my entire 32 years."

She swallowed, remembering tips Harry had given her on public speaking. Make eye contact with the crowd. Speak slowly, very slowly. "Children are being killed on their way to school, children are being killed as they play in their gardens, children are being killed as they sleep in their beds. One in three children have grown up in Syria knowing nothing but fear and terror, during the six years of barbaric war in their country."

"Those children have been exposed to things no child should ever witness. When I held those children in my arms, and cared for them when they were brutally injured, I thought of my three daughters, and of my niece and nephew." Jackie had practiced her speech quite a few times, and her voice always caught in her throat at that part. She could sense the emotion in the room, amongst the audience and the press. "These children are terrified, vulnerable, and essentially friendless. They rely on the charity of independent organizations, such as Save the Children, for a chance at living. And they rely on each of you, on all of us, to spread awareness for their suffering, and to seek a solution to put an end to it."

"With so many young children in my life, I've found that much of my time is spent watching Disney movies." There was laughter from the crowd, Jackie felt emboldened to continue. "A current favorite at my house is Pocahontas, and if you aren't aware, it tells the story of a Native American Princess and her experience with the arrival of British colonists. There's a line in the movie that I think is quite powerful, believe it or not," Jackie said, a smile hinting on her face. "'You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you. But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew you never knew.'

"I walked the footsteps of parents in Syria, and I deliver their message here today. We mustn't forget about these children, because they live in a land far away, because they may look different than us and speak differently than we do. Despite our differences, we share one common denominator. We are human. We must protect these children. Because they are our children." 

There was a great roar and bursting of applause, the audience leaping up to give Jackie a standing ovation. Her face broke into a smile, she leaned in to the microphone, uttering a final, "Thank you," before taking her seat in the front row of the conference room.

"Your Royal Highness, we cannot thank you enough for your outstanding work on behalf of our charity, and on behalf of the children," said the director of the local branch of Save the Children UK. "We'll be joining the children in the recreation room shortly, please follow us."

The director walked to join Jackie, motioning for her to lead the way.

---

"That was absolutely magnificent," Elizabeth gushed, sliding into the car next to Jackie, who gave one final wave to the crowd that had gathered outside of the Save the Children Center in Central London to catch a glimpse of her, before the car pulled away from the curb, steering towards Kensington Palace.

"They seemed to like it," Jackie said hesitantly, looking to her lady in waiting for more reassurance.

"It wouldn't surprise me if Her Majesty writes to you to express her delight," Elizabeth said, looking at her carefully organized planner over the rims of her cat-eye glasses. "You've got fifteen minutes from the time the car stops to go in and get changed, then we're off to the nursing center."

Jackie nodded, trying to switch gears from children in Syria to the lonely elderly in London. "Do you have a copy of my other speech? I'd like to look it over before we get back to the Palace."

"Too late," Elizabeth said. Jackie looked up to see the gates of Kensington Palace opening for their arrival. She and Elizabeth hurried through the halls towards Apartment 1B, the portraits and sculptures, parts of history that once amazed her, now just part of the decor, passed by without a second glance. She didn't have the time to stop and smell the roses, unfortunately.

"13 minutes," Elizabeth warned. Jackie rushed to her and Harry's bedroom, shedding the dress she wore to Save the Children and replacing it with the dress she and Elizabeth chose for her visit to the nursing facility in North London. Back when she first joined the Royal Family, she, Kate, Harry, and William each chose an area of focus in the field of mental health as part of a joint effort with the Heads Together campaign. William chose men, Catherine chose women and children, Harry chose veterans, and Jackie chose the elderly. 

"8 minutes!" Elizabeth's voice reminded from downstairs. Jackie grabbed a wine-colored jacket and rushed down the steps. She glanced at her watch -- it was a quarter to two, still early afternoon, but she was exhausted. 

"Let's go, and we can be early," Elizabeth decided aloud, rushing Jackie towards the door. Jackie's foot landed on something soft in the foyer. She looked down with a fond smile, it was one of Mary Kate's many baby dolls, left behind in what Jackie assumed was a mad dash out the door with Nanny Sophia and the twins for an afternoon trip to the park. Jackie scooped up the doll, giving it a squeeze, her heart feeling a bit hollow. 

Elizabeth sensed Jackie's emotion, putting a hand on her back. "I know you miss them. I'll text Nanny Sophia in the car to be sure they're waiting for you when we get back." 

Jackie nodded, pushing back out the door and into the car, which, once again, whisked the Duchess and her lady in waiting away. 

Elizabeth read from her planner, "Just a reminder of the schedule of events, you'll have a tour of the facility, meet with some of the residents for about 15 minutes, then speak with the psychological and counseling staff available to the seniors ...

Elizabeth read from her planner, "Just a reminder of the schedule of events, you'll have a tour of the facility, meet with some of the residents for about 15 minutes, then speak with the psychological and counseling staff available to the seniors and hear about what they do to promote emotional wellbeing amongst the elderly. You'll then give a quick speech, which you have memorized, and we'll be on our way. It shouldn't take longer than an hour."

Jackie took in the information, which she already knew, tucking her hair behind her ear. "And Harry will be done working in time to join us for dinner?"

Elizabeth gave a tentative shrug of her shoulders. "I spoke with Michael this morning, and he says they have a lot of ground to cover. The Invictus Games are just 8 weeks away."

"I know that," Jackie sighed. She looked out the window, the swarm of paparazzi indicating they were nearly there. "Could you tell Michael to remind Harry that I hope he can be there?"

Elizabeth nodded, her lips pressed together. "Michael gave me this note when I saw him this morning, to give to you, actually."

Jackie unfolded the piece of paper, giving Elizabeth a curious look before she read it. Harry's messy handwriting scrawled a short message:

'Ask the director if they have an opening for us in 50 years, preferably with adjoining rooms. -H'

---

Jackie and Harry are back! 

I hope you'll all vote and share any thoughts or suggestions! 

I appreciate all of your support, more than you'll ever know! :)