Chapter 6

"Mummy!"

Jackie looked up from her computer, sitting perfectly still. If she was quiet, Nanny Sophia may be able to distract the child who was crying for her.

A few moments later, there was another, more desperate, "Mummy!"

Jackie sighed and stood from the desk in the office of her Kensington Palace flat. She opened the door, which had only been closed for twenty minutes, to see Nanny Sophia attempting to comfort the wailing Caroline.

"Your Highness, she's tired, I was just going to put her down for a nap," Nanny Sophia explained. Mary Kate and Cece were playing with dolls quietly on the floor, totally absorbed in their own little world.

Jackie gave Nanny Sophia, who seemed quite flustered, a reassuring smile. "I'll take her to my office, she'll fall asleep in my lap. Elizabeth is just coming to go over my schedule, nothing too serious."

"Are you sure?"

Jackie nodded, taking Caroline into her arms, laughing as she said, "You can keep the other two busy."

"It doesn't take much," Nanny Sophia said fondly. The three Windsor princesses were the best of friends, always entertaining one another. "I know you said I was dismissed after dinner tonight, but I thought I could stay and get them to bed. You've been working so hard lately, and you haven't been feeling well this week, maybe you'd like a night off from mum duties."

Jackie smiled. Nanny Sophia was incredibly observant -- Jackie had an upset stomach all week, but had to power through her discomfort, as she had a full schedule of engagements. "Really, I'm just fine. Though I do appreciate your offer."

Nanny Sophia didn't seem convinced, but nodded. "Of course."

Within a few minutes, Jackie was settled into her office chair, Caroline dozing in her lap, one little hand gripping tightly to her finger. Jackie looked down at Caroline's angelic face, so peaceful as she slept. April was just a week away, meaning that the twins birthday came in about a month, on May 3rd. Jackie was reminded each day as her daughters grew older that she would never again hold a newborn in her arms. It broke her heart.

There was a knock at her office door.

"Come in," Jackie called softly.

Elizabeth let herself inside, taking note of the sleeping baby and creeping over to a chair facing Jackie's desk. She raised an eyebrow. "I hope I'm not disturbing you."

Jackie scoffed. "She's sound asleep. What's first on the agenda?"

Elizabeth pulled out her trusty leather-bound notebook, pushing her cat-eye glasses down her nose. "Harry's staff have found a private home in Orlando for you to stay in during the Invictus Games, we'll be sending security there next week to have it looked over. After they give us the all-clear, we can send your wardrobe, so it's time we make final decisions on what you'll wear."

Jackie nodded, taking her own notes. "Have you seen pictures of the house? Is there a pool?"

"It has a pool and a slide, six bedrooms, and it's set back quite a bit from the nearest road, lots of trees and shrubbery around the perimeter for privacy," Elizabeth reported. "I think Mary Kate will really enjoy the pool."

Jackie grinned. "Great." During the first week of May, the Windsors would be traveling to Orlando, Florida for the second Invictus Games. Jackie was thrilled, she hadn't been able to attend much of the first Invictus Games in London in 2014, as Mary Kate had been hospitalized with an ear infection. The 2016 Invictus Games were the first public appearance the twins would be making since their christening, and it marked the first official event the Windsors would attend as a family of five.