Chapter 7

Jackie put a hand on her stomach. Flat. Empty.

It was the 4th of April, 2016. She was scheduled to visit a park that had been erected in King's Lyn, only a few kilometers away from York Cottage, with special play equipment for healthy children as well as children in wheelchairs to enjoy. The 4th of April, 2016 was just a normal day in the life of a Duchess, however, it once had the potential to be so much more.

It was the day Patrick should have been born.

Jackie was standing in the sunroom of York Cottage, a beautiful place with paned glass walls and ceiling and blooming plants on every surface. There was a bookshelf lined with children's books and trinkets, but it held much more than stories -- it was Patrick's resting place, a story cut tragically short.

When she miscarried the previous autumn, Jackie and Harry decided to have their son cremated. His cremated remains, which could barely fill a thimble, were placed in a lovely box-shaped urn made from the wood of a tree that had fallen on the grounds of Buckingham Palace. The Queen had graciously (and privately) issued Patrick a monogram, consisting of a delicate P topped with a crown, so Jackie and Harry could have it engraved onto a small gold plaque on his urn.

Patrick would stay on the bookshelf in the home he would have grown up in, surrounded by stories he would have enjoyed with his sisters, until Jackie and Harry passed away, when he would then be interred with them in the family vault at Windsor Chapel.

Jackie reached out and rested her hand on the cool hammered gold plaque, her finger tracing the P. It was all she had of her youngest child. Instead of brushing soft curls off of his forehead, wiping tears from his round cheeks, or kissing little hands, even when they were sticky, she could only touch a wood box and wonder what could have been.

Jackie practically jumped out of her skin when she felt a hand on her waist. She'd been so absorbed in her thoughts she hadn't even heard Harry walk into the sunroom.

"How are you?" Harry asked quietly.

Jackie shrugged, letting out a sigh. "I'm okay. How are you?"

Harry looked tired, and old. He emulated Jackie's shrug. "I'm okay, too."

They were silent for a moment, the ticking of Harry's Rolex the only noise in the sunroom.

Jackie spoke again, trying to be positive. "I'm feeling grateful for him."

Harry nodded thoughtfully. "Yeah. Me too."

"I'm here right now because of him," she continued, studying Patrick's urn. Her voice cracked as she added, "But I would give anything just to hold him."

"Did you ever feel him kick? Or move?" Harry asked hopefully, his hand tightening its grip on her waist.

Jackie's breathing was shallow. She had the sudden urge to lie, to give him a bit of comfort, but her answer was truthful. "No." She turned to look at Harry. "It was too early."

Harry pulled Jackie closer, resting his cheek against her hair. 

"I miss that feeling, when they would kick. It felt like butterflies, more like an alien, I suppose, but it was like... magic. A little creature in there, moving and growing-" Jackie's stomach gave a nauseous turn, and she felt a wave of fatigue.

Harry looked at her curiously. "Are you okay? Is your stomach still upset?"

Jackie nodded, pressing her hand to her lips. "Yeah, I think I just need a power nap before I leave."

"You've been feeling sick all this week," Harry reminded, sounding concerned.

"I've been so stressed, with my schedule and the press -- I've just got to make it through the Games, then I can take a break," Jackie insisted. 

Harry frowned. "If you aren't feeling better by Monday I think you should call Dr. Brown."

Jackie gave her husband a reassuring smile, squeezing his hand. "I will."

---

"We're so happy you're able to open the playground, it's such a special project, it needs a special sendoff."

Jackie grinned, taking in the whimsical scene. There were children of all ages and abilities enjoying the fantasy-themed playground, complete with a dragon-shaped slide. Swings able to safely hold a wheelchair were intermixed with regular swings, and ramps and ladders gave access to fantastic towers with lookouts that gave lovely views of the Norfolk countryside. She turned to the engineer who had designed the equipment, "I'm so happy to be here. This is incredible."

"We've had such a great turnout for our first day, people have brought their children from all over the country to play and meet you."

The engineer was right. Only those with children were let inside, however, there were over 100 well-wishers lined up along the perimeter of the playground, cheering and waving. Paparazzi snapped away, capturing her every move. 

Jackie was given a tour of the equipment, where she spoke with children and their parents

Jackie was given a tour of the equipment, where she spoke with children and their parents. Meeting children was always exciting, they were totally unpredictable. Some threw their arms around her, clinging to the hem of her dress, while others cried or hid their faces in their parent's sides. No matter their behavior, Jackie spoke with each child as though they were her own. 

As Jackie made her rounds, she was approached by two very animated children, one girl, about eight, and a boy, about six, in a wheelchair. By the skilled way he handled the chair, it appeared he had been in it his entire life. She dropped into the 'Duchess squat' so she was on their level, as the girl spoke first, "Hello, Your Highness, I'm Naomi and this is my brother Daniel."

Jackie held out her hand, greeting both children with a shake. "Very nice to meet you both. Do you live nearby?" 

Naomi informed Jackie that she and Daniel were from Litcham as their very proud mother looked on. Jackie smiled, sending her a nonverbal congratulations on how well-manered her children were. 

"That's not too long of a drive, you'll be able to come and enjoy the playground together," Jackie noted.

Daniel piped up, "I'm really excited, we can play together here." 

Jackie beamed. That was exactly the point of the playground. Children of all abilities could come together and enjoy themselves. She already had plans to bring Mary Kate. "That'll be wonderful." 

"Do you want to come play with us?" Naomi questioned, her eyes hopeful. 

Their mother opened her mouth to call her children, but Jackie waved her off with a reassuring smile. "I would love to." 

"Let's go up the ramp!" Daniel cheered. 

Jackie scanned the equipment, taking note of the grate-like floor. It was a death-trap for someone in heels. She turned to Elizabeth, who always remained a few paces behind during engagements, motioning to her shoes. "Can you take these?" 

Without a word, Elizabeth was at Jackie's side, holding out a hand. Jackie pulled off her strappy nude heels, handing them to her lady-in-waiting. Elizabeth gave Jackie an almost imperceptible wink before retreating to the proper distance. 

The press's cameras flashed away as the Duchess of Windsor hurried after Naomi and Daniel,  bare feet and all. 

---

Please keep up the wonderful comments and suggestions. I love hearing your predictions.