Chapter 24

Finn POV

Clarke was finally listening to me.  I know they all thought I didn't deserve anything from them, but I was just caught at a bad time.  I mean, I didn't want to hurt Clarke or Raven before, but now I knew the truth.  While I was gone, I had just thought they were scared of me and I had hurt them.  However, the moment I saw the two girls, I knew that I had just made them pissed, not hurt.  It's bad enough to have just one girl mad at you, especially two, but when they were Raven and Clarke, this was a whole new level of bad.

I was currently in Clarke's room, retelling everything that had happened while I was gone.  Clarke was staring at me as if she were to kill me at any moment.  

"As soon as I left the Academy, I headed back to Skaikru.  Even though I was miserable at that place, I just found myself there a while later.  When I got there, I joined again, but I could feel the administrators' eyes all over me.  They were suspicious about something.  Then I found out why they were being so cautious and nervous.  I was walking to class one day when I heard Jaha talking to this man in a suit.  They were talking about the school's population."

Clarke raised a pale eyebrow at me, obviously not knowing where this story was headed.  I myself had been confused at that moment.  I can still remember Griffin's and Kane's eyes watching me as I walked everyday to my classes, their stares intimidating and slightly creepy.

"They were saying how we had the proper amount of population know, and I quote 'I don't know what you did with the extra students, but the school can stay open now.'  That could only mean a certain number of things." 

"You mean," Clarke started, the rest of the story finishing in her head, "Jaha and the rest separated us from our friends and family just to keep the school open for another year of two?" There was no denying that Clarke was angered by this.  It must sting if you're own mother sent you away just to keep her job for a while longer.

"They sent away any kid with even the slightest blemish on their record.  Just to keep the kids with the perfect averages and records." 

In my mind, I knew that they were just trying to do the right thing by sending away the 'troubled' students, but was the school really worth more than our comfort at the school?  

"Is that it?" Clarke said, still swallowing down the information I had just spilled.

"Not even close." Clarke's sharp eyes told me to continue. "The school is running low on money.  I heard Jaha telling Kane and your mom that they were going to stop sending food after next month.  We'll basically be living on our own without any supplies whatsoever."

"I can't believe my mom would do that."

Clarke paled instantly and ideas were already running through her mind.  I remembered the day I had heard the news, just about two weeks ago.  I had found myself packing my bags just a moment later, then running to the school kitchen and taking as much food as I could in the duffel bag by my side.  I had already emptied the contents into the Academy's pantry, but it would be barely enough to feed five people for a day.

"What do you want to do?" I asked Clarke, seeing as she had taken over the role of leader along with Lexa.  As much as I hated seeing all of the little couples of the group, I definitely didn't want us to lose any supplies.

"I say we keep this between us, ok?  We don't need anyone else worrying about this.  When we get the chance, we will talk to Skaikru and try to work in a deal or something." As if it were a second thought, Clarke tipped her head. "Does this mean no graduation?"

"Really, Clarke, you're worried about graduation?" I scoffed.  Clarke just rolled her eyes at me and gave a heavy sigh.

"Whatever.  Let's just keep this secret and see what happens." Assuming that was the end of our conversation, I headed towards the door.  Hopefully Clarke was right and things would stay a secret.