Surprise

"A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave."-Elizabeth Gilbert

***

The usually quiet mansion was alive with music and laughter from the Warriors.

Most of them were on time for the party except for De Jesus who had some car trouble on the way to my place.

She couldn't stop apologizing while she handed me a pink paper bag with my gift.

It was hidden underneath a pink wrapping paper and I put it on the side table with all the gifts from my teammates.

I told her not to worry and to join the rest of the group who were in the living room.

Flores was playing Crazy Little Love on the piano while they sang.

Padilla and Nova danced while Lola looked on.

She seemed happy.

I'm glad I agreed to do this.

It had been a while since I celebrated my birthday.

***

I sat between Rose and Julia who moved aside to give me room.

"You should sing, Julia." Rose tapped her on the knee.

She only smiled but the rest of them agreed to the idea.

"If you don't become a doctor, you have another career option." Razon teased her.

"Yeah, Julia. Why don't you sing for all of us?" I touched her on the shoulder.

Her cheeks turned red.

She shook her head but most of the Warriors were chanting her name while raising their arms in the air.

Lola watched their spectacle with quiet amusement.

"Alright," she stood up and walked over to where Flores was sitting.

She whispered something in her ear and Flores nodded.

Julia stood on the left side of the piano and faced all of us.

I looked at her, proud.

When Flores hit the first key, I couldn't help smiling.

I listened to every word with understanding while Julia crooned.

'Till now I always got by on my own

I never really cared until I met you

And now it chills me to the bone

How do I get you alone

Her eyes were closed while she sang.

Our jaws dropped, captivated by her voice as it filled the halls of the huge house.

The raw vulnerability while she sang exposed the pain and the longing I felt.

Our relationship was still a secret.

Even in the garden where we usually hang out, we were careful with our actions.

We were always looking over our shoulders, afraid that someone might catch us holding hands or hugging each other.

This is the price of keeping our relationship a secret.