Here Comes The Sun

"True love is not so much a matter of romance as it is a matter of anxious concern for the well-being of one's companion."-Gordon B. Hinckley, Stand A Little Taller

***

My visit to Julia's house was a glimpse of how she lived her life.

We were in her bedroom when Nanay knocked on the door.

Julia left it ajar because she was paranoid that her mom would think we were doing something else other than studying.

Well, it was hard to study because it was the last thing on my mind.

While Julia quizzed me on definitions and formulas of physics, I would kiss her ear, placed her arms on my shoulder or kiss her cheek, her lips and her hand.

She didn't me but she keeps checking the door to make sure her mom doesn't catch us.

When her mom came by, I was explaining to her the formula for projectile motion.

The book was in her lap, our heads close together while she tried to understand the point of this.

She's great with most subjects but when it comes to physics, she asks me for help.

"Do you think I'm going to need this in medical school?" She placed the book on the floor.

I shrugged.

"All I know is it has a lot of advance science and math classes," I replied.

She covered her face.

"I'm screwed." She shook her head and covered her face.

"You are going to medical school so you're screwed either way."

"Hey!" She punched me lightly in the arm. 

"You're supposed to inspire me by telling me something positive."

"Like what?" I inched closer till our shoulders touched.

I ran a finger to her shirt collar, my nails grazing her collarbone.

"Like how you're going to be this hot doctor?" I cooed, my voice sultry as I whispered in her ear.

Julia swallowed.

It was at this point when we heard the knock.

Her mom forgot butter and wanted Julia to look after what she's cooking.

Julia refused afraid she'd burn it.

I was about to offer help but Julia told her mom we could do the errand for her.

Her mom gave me a thoughtful look then agreed.

Julia stood up to follow outside.

When I came out of the room, her mom was whispering something to her.

***

"What was that about?" I asked as soon as we were out of the house.

There were people sitting outside of their homes, looking at us.

They were sitting on benches, two women with little kids on their lap and one woman leaning on the windowsill, talking.

They stopped their conversation when we pass by.

"Don't be mad but if someone ask who you are, I'll tell them you're a friend."

I stopped walking.

"A friend?" I frowned.

Julia stood in front of me.

"You've seen my neighborhood. It's small and everyone knows each other. They can be very unkind if they find out that I'm with a girl."