Together at Last

A/N: None of the doctors I mention are actual people. I made them up.  

Two Years Later

Magnus Pov- I sat in my office, looking over some new blueprints while also trying to sew up a tear in my daughters' dress that was caused by tree climbing. "Gabriella Lightwood-Bane, I thought I told you not to rough house in this dress. Tonight's a very important night for your dad and he wanted you to look perfect."

The twelve-year-old sat in the seat in front of me with her arms crossed over her chest and a pout on her face. "I couldn't help it Papa. I've spent so much of my life inside because I was too sick to be out of the hospital. Now that I'm all better, I want to do all the things I missed out on. That includes climbing trees."

I put a finishing stitch on the dress before knotting the thread and breaking it off with my teeth. "It's true that your cancer free but that doesn't mean you can be reckless. The medication may have taken away all your bad cells but that doesn't mean they can't come back. You don't have to be extremely careful but at least think things over before acting."

It was a miracle but Alec had managed to do what he aimed for so long. He did what Andrew asked of him, took in Gabby and kept working on his medication. Two years later, we were getting ready for an award show where Alec will be accepting a Nobel prize. I always told him he would get one but he never believed me. Now that it's happening, I don't think he can even process it. It's all so amazing.

Something else that was amazing was the relationship Alec and I shared together. At first I worried about adopting a child together while also trying to work on our relationship. If Alec didn't think we were meant to be, I didn't want Gabby to be effected by that. She already lost her birth parents, I didn't want her to lose us as well.

Luckily, that wasn't the case. Sure, it took a while for Alec to trust me again and we get in the occasional argument but fights are normal in relationships. He still has his days when he misses Andrew and that's understandable. He was his husband after all and they started this whole doctor adventure together.

"Getting this award is a good thing, right Papa," Gabby asked grabbing her dress and holding it up against herself. I nodded putting my sewing kit away. "Of course, getting a Nobel Prize is one of the highest honors someone could get."

"if that's so, why has daddy been looking so sad today? Is there something bothering him," she asked looking up at me. I sighed, running my hand through my hair thinking. "I'm sure he has a lot on his mind. Today may be a special day for him but it's also a sad one. It's the two-year anniversary of Andrew's death."

Gabby frowned looking down at her feet. "Does daddy miss Andrew?" I nodded thinking about it. "Andrew is the one who encouraged daddy to become a doctor. Your dad did everything he set out to do. He cured a form of cancer and is winning the Nobel Peace Prize. It must be hard for him to accept the award and not have Andrew there to see it."

Gabby stood in silence for a moment before holding her dress tight to her chest. "After my parents abandoned me...I just wanted to die. I didn't think my life was worth saving since I wouldn't have a family at the end of it all. That's when I met Andrew and he told me all about Alec. He said that Alec Lightwood was the best doctor in the world and if anyone can save me, he can. I didn't believe him but after he died I wanted to give living a chance, so I begged Alec for help."

I smiled at that. "It's a good thing you did. Now thanks to him you're all healthy and we're all one big family." "Are you two talking about me again," Alec asked, walking into my office. I smiled standing up and grabbing a tie that was sitting on my desk. "Indeed, we were Alexander. I'm glad you showed up. I made the perfect suit for you to wear tonight to accept your award."