Ignorance is Bliss

Alec Pov- "You really should have come to Magnus's party Jace. It was a lot of fun and the food was just amazing" I said walking into school with him. Jace shrugged going to my locker with me. "I wasn't really invited so if I just showed up I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten in. I don't think Magnus's dad gets along with mine anyway" he said shrugging.

I opened my locker door putting some books in and taking some out. "You act like you wouldn't have wanted to go yet you called me at two in the morning just so I can tell you every detail of the party."

Jace shrugged leaning on Magnus's locker "I was curious and I didn't want to wait till now to hear about it. It sounds like you had a roller coaster of a night." I shrugged "I didn't but Magnus seemed to have a few emotional moments. It was hard for him to be at a party without his mom there."

Jace nodded "believe me I know how hard it is to do things without having a parent there. It isn't easy." I nodded thinking over the night before looking at him "something happened yesterday that I didn't tell you. I thought it was nothing but now I'm not so sure."

Jace nodded his head, giving me his full attention and I looked around, making sure Magnus wasn't around before looking back at him. "It happened the first time Magnus and I danced together last night. He said something to me that I haven't really been able to get out of my head."

Jace nudged his head, telling me to continue and I hugged my books frowning "Magnus said that if he met me in middle school he never would have made a bet with the other fashionistas." This made Jace frown in confusion "what kind of bet?"

I shrugged "Magnus said that he bet that Camille couldn't make a turtle neck look good. I don't really know what that bet has to do with me but Magnus told me just to forget it."

Jace shook his head "Alec that makes no sense at all. Magnus having a bet like that doesn't have anything to do with you." I nodded "yeah I know which is why I can't get it out of my mind. When I asked him about the bet he acted all weird and he left right away to go talk to other people."

"Whatever bet he's talking about it's not the one he told you. There's something else going on here Alec. By the sound of the way he was acting it sounds like he doesn't want you to know the truth. It might have something to do with why he started talking to you."

His words made me flinch. I didn't even want to think of his bet having to do with why he started talking to me. "What... what are you suggesting" I asked softly. He frowned at me "Alec... have you ever considered that Magnus could only be with you because he was betted to?"

I quickly shook my head no "No. I asked Magnus if him talking to me was a bet and he told me it wasn't. I refuse to believe that Magnus would date me and play with my feelings all for some stupid bet. He isn't heartless like that."

Jace reached out putting his hand on my arm "Alec just think about it. Magnus came over to you randomly one day and just started trying to make you popular. Don't you find that a little suspicious?"

I shook my head hugging my books tighter "you're wrong Jace. Magnus isn't like that." Jace frowned "Alec, Magnus is like that. He isn't the sweet guy you keep tricking yourself into thinking he is. He doesn't care about anyone but himself. He may be using you Alec."

"You don't know what you're talking about so shut up Jace!" I yelled making Jace's eyes widened in shock.

"What's going on over here" Magnus's voice asked from behind me. The sound of his voice made my entire body tense up and I couldn't make myself face him. Jace glared at him "I'll tell you what's going on. We want to know about-" "About how the rest of your night went" I said cutting Jace off.