Every Day a Little Death

Magnus Pov- "So I was thinking we could have the Oscar red carpet watching party at your place. It's not every day your clothes get featured at such a high-class event. Nearly ten actresses are going to be wearing your designs and all of them have been nominated" Penelope gushed, walking around the office, writing things down on a clip board.

"yeah, sure, whatever you say" I said, only half paying attention. I was resting my chin in the palm of my hand, staring out the window at the pounding rain. Penelope stopped pacing and frowned watching me. "You've been out of it the last few days but today especially. Everything alright?"

I glanced back at her frowning. "I just have a lot on my mind is all" I said, looking back at the window. "Is this about Alec Lightwood? He hasn't come to school all week and he missed one of his conferences to show off his latest findings."

"What do you expect? His husband died and he's busy preparing for the funeral tomorrow. I want to make sure he's alright, but he hasn't answered any of my phone calls."

"Are you going to go to the funeral tomorrow? The Oscars aren't until tomorrow night so you have plenty of time to go support him. I'm sure he's going to need you there."

I shook my head frowning. "What good would it do for me to be there? All I am, is a reminder that Alec cheated on his husband and was going to leave him for me. I would have to be insane to go to the funeral."

"You're insane if you don't go to the funeral" an annoying, familiar voice called from the elevator. Penelope and I both turned toward it seeing a tall handsome man with curly golden blonde hair and golden skin. Penelope blushed from seeing him but I just rolled my eyes.

"What are you doing here Jace?"

He walked out of the elevator, coming up to my desk. "I'm here to talk you into coming to the funeral tomorrow. Alec is under a lot of stress and he's going to need you there." I shook my head, "has Alec told you anything that went on between us? I'm the last person that needs to be there."

"He told me everything. He told me that he slept with you and was going to leave Andrew for you. He told me that guilt was eating away at him and every morning he woke up feeling horrible about himself and what he did. That's just Alec though, he always blames himself when things go wrong."

I leaned back in my chair sighing. "See, I make Alec feel stressed so I shouldn't go to Andrew's funeral."

"Alec also told me that he can't make himself regret his choice. That he is still in love with you and wants to be with you. He thinks he's selfish and horrible for feeling that way. You must go prove to him that he's not."

"How am I supposed to do that? What right do I have to make Alec feel better? I took Alec away from his husband even though it was Andrew who wanted me to do it. It was his plan all along to get us back together because he didn't want Alec to be alone when he died. He didn't want Alec to know that I knew."

Jace frowned taking that in for a moment before shaking his head, choosing to stay out of it. "After the funeral tomorrow is a reception where everyone is getting together and remembering Andrew. Alec's parents and friends are all going to be there but so are Andrews side of the family. They all hate Alec and I'm sure he will need all the support he can get. He needs your support as well Magnus. Please tell me you will at least show up for the reception."

I frowned thinking that over for a moment. Andrews mother alone seemed like a lot to handle. Andrew's entire family was sure to be overwhelming. Alec would have his friends and family by his side so he won't really need me there to help him. Even so...