Dinner And Douglas

Scarlett

"Hello Scarlett, Shawn."

My Mom said shyly, she nudged the mysterious guy in the arm.

"Hello, I'm Douglas... Its nice to meet you two."

The man, Douglas, said with a smile, but I knew it was fake.

"Oh, sorry, come on in."

  Shawn said after a moment of awkward silence, we stepped aside and let them enter the apartment.

  "Your home is quite lovely."

My Mom spoke up once Shawn had closed the door, I watched as her eyes slowly drifted across the living room, and eventually they landed on mine.

  "Thanks."

I replied back shortly, I wasn't really sure of what was happening, was she dating this man?

  I studied Douglas from head to toe, he had thick black hair atop his head, and light freckles caked his cream colored face.

  I met his eyes for a few seconds, their only seemed to be black holes where color should've been.

  "Ya, dinners done if you guys would like to sit down."

  Shawn spoke up snapping me out of my trance, my Mom nodded and Shawn led the two of them into the kitchen.

  After a few moments of composing myself, I took a deep breath and followed not too far behind them.

  I entered the kitchen to see my Mom and Douglas sitting beside each other at the dining room table, Shawn was grabbing the pot of spaghetti that he had cooked a little earlier.

  I helped by grabbing the basket of garlic bread that was sitting near the stovetop.

After everything was placed on the table, my Mom surprisingly spoke up.

  "So June 24?"

She questioned towards me after I had taken the seat across from her.

"Ya."

I answered shortly, I couldn't seem to keep eye contact with her, it was a little unbearable.

"Isn't that a little soon?"

She asked, and that simple question snapped something inside of me.

"Why would you care?"

I suddenly asked, anger began building up in my voice.

"Of course I care sweetie."

She told me softly, I knew she said it halfheartedly.

I quickly stood from my chair and hurried for the living room not really sure of where to go.

I ended up stepping out onto the balcony, even though it was chilly outside I didn't care.

Moments later I heard the door slide open behind me, I was praying for it to be Shawn, but of course it wasn't.

"Honey I do care."

She told me from behind, I rested my elbows on the railing of the balcony, not bothering to face her.

"Then where were you?"

I asked, she didn't respond for a moment.

"What?"

She asked I quietly acting as if she didn't see it on the news.

"Where were you when I needed you?"

I yelled at her, I finally turned to face her, her eyes stared into mine.

"I was taken Mom! I was kidnapped! Shawn's cousin was shot and killed! He was my friend, and it was all my fault!!!"

I screamed, the tears began to stream down my pale face, I collapsed to my knees and seconds later the door opened again.

Shawn.

"I shouldn't have left him!"

I cried out, suddenly I felt arms wrap around me, it wasn't Shawn, it was my Mom.

She held me close, and I grabbed onto her arms, I couldn't stop crying.

Shawn watched as my Mom held me, tears in his own eyes.

This was a little depressing, but Scarlett is still recovering from a traumatic experience, will she ever be the same again?
Yay!
Another chapter, I'm super excited!!!
Thanks 🙏🏻
-Author B