THE FINAL STEP

Life's most crucial moments happen in split of second. And everyone regrets that moments for rest of their life.

Next day,

Everything that has happened last day was still a blur to Layla. She could remember her father smiling when he dozed off into eternal sleep. She could still remember her mother crying and she collapsed into the chair right beside her. The doctors gathered for a minute before they announced that he was no more. The sound made by the ECG was still ringing in her ears.

She was at the cemetery where her father's funeral was going on. Lily was situated on her right when the people started giving out their messages. A lot of people have come to the funeral including his colleagues , patients and admirers. Layla did not speak so did Lily because she wanted her friend to be fine. Lily did not want to break her any more. Paul and Stuart were standing behind the girls while Paul bit his lower lip and Stuart tried to stop his tears from flowing. Lily knew she was already crying but not loudly. She had become a member of layla's family a long time ago and now she felt like she lost her own father. Lily's father was giving his speech before placing a rose on his best friend's chest and crying alongside.

Layla stood beside the box crying slowly as they lowered the box into the grave . She cried even harder and louder. Everyone tried to comfort her but they were broken in their own way. As they covered the box with soil and people started moving back to their home. Layla and her family stayed behind but soon as the sun went down everyone started heading home but Layla sat there even though Lily asked her to come she rejected her advice and told them to go back without her. She sat there silently while tears still running down her flushed cheek. She remembered how her father has helped her to overcome her fears and face everything.

Flashback~ layla's POV .

I was still wandering in the darkness of the forest where my friends have left . They brought me to the forest behind my school as it was halloween night and we decided to play a horror game where we should find the crystal which was in middle of the forest. We all came together but I was splited from the gang while I was wearing my shoe lace which has come out while I was walking. I tried searching for them which lead me deeper into the forest. I went back to get out but whatever I did I lost my way.

I reached a lake it was shining by reflecting the moonlight and it was so pretty. From there I could see the bright lightings of st. Bartholomew hospital. It was ordered to close soon and I have heard that I will be done soon so they are moving the patients. I looked down into the lake it was cool and I was feeling so nice. I remembered that the hospital was closed because of a patient who was killed while they performed cruel treatment and they also provided illegal evidence to the death of the patient. I remember dad saying that the patient was a super human who did not have any kind of blood group and was still alive and was very healthy. How can someone have no blood group?.

It was the time I saw that the clock had struck 11 at the night and the wind was so cool and sending chills down my spine. I heard someone call my name and I remembered that voice instantly.
"Dad !!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. I heard footsteps head my way and soon people crowded around me and my dad hugging me.

"Why did you come here?" Dad started scolding me and I was smiling sheepishly. I was scared of dark and my father had told me to stay strong and not to be afraid of anything. And I wanted to do as he told me and I came to a unknown place with friends and was lost for nearly 3 hours.

Dad gave me a piggyback ride because he thought I was weak to walk back even though I could walk I wanted to have a piggyback ride anyway. And that's when I heard a slight whisper. I could not make most of it but only the last bit.

"..... So remember to come to me when you grow up . If you don't I will take something precious from you. Because I'm .."

_______flash back end_______
3rd person POV

Layla snapped out of her thoughts as she felt a tap on her shoulder. She flinched for a sec and turned around Lily starring at her.

"Layla come we need to leave it's getting dark." Lily stated monotonously.

"I don't wanna" Layla said.

"Come with me." Lily pulled Layla up and dragged her.

Layla did not resist even though she wanted to spend her time with her dad . She has to start concerning about her family too. And something in her mind struck.

"Lily what is the shadow's name?" Layla screamed.

Lily was startled. She took a moment to digest her words and then stated.

"Christa Abe-" Layla cut Lily's words.

" Lily , I know her long back even before we started our college" Layla panicked.

"What?" It was the only thing that escaped Lily's mouth.

Layla began to explain all her flash back until the last bit.

"Because I'm Christa Abell."

Now she remembered the voice which has said her name of all times. She was scared and Lily was shocked and all Layla did was drag Lily back to her house.

______

To be continued...

A/N : I'm extremely sorry for the delay and I think you'll like the chapter. I don't know much about the cremation process so I wrote down what I know. And if you like the chapter please do vote. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Thank you.