Chapter 23 - Can You

To all my friends made here on Wattpad. Thanks JD Cave.

Chapter 23

As the medicine spread through Kaitlin’s body, Luke fumed at the person who had administered the shot. He could understand them feeling as though she would be in less danger by knocking her out. Now the problem was they had a huge as hell cougar to get move while wolves where breaking in to fights all around them.   Kaitlin would be spit raving mad when she awoke. Seemed one of the things she hated was being put to sleep.  He had caught small parts of how much it bothered her.

Slipping his legs firmly around her, he shifted hoping to catch a glimpse to what had happen to Shad.  As much as he hated the thought, the stallion had a much better chance of getting her out of the situation unharmed.  Shad unfortunately was holding off a couple of rather tough looking wolves. Luke guessed they had gotten a little too ballsy and Shad was shutting them down quickly enough.

When you are done with those idiots Shad do you think you could assist me in getting Kaitlin out of here? Someone put her to sleep.” At Luke’s words, the stallion reared and spun knocking the last remaining wolf out. Luke had to admire the control and skill the horse had. If he had wanted to, he could have easily killed the wolves instead of rendering them unconscious. 

Shad moved to Luke’s side quickly enough. Kneeling so that Luke could drag his unconscious mate onto his back. Once Luke was sure she was well balanced, he nudged Shad letting him know it was time to move out.  The two moved cautiously through the crowded field trying to keep Kaitlin as comfortable as possible.  The more comfortable she was, the less pheromones she would release which in turn equaled a lesser number of followers to challenge. If challenged Luke would have to leave Shad unattended with Kaitlin and that would be completely disastrous.

Surprisingly they made it out of the ruckus and safely to the woods without a challenge. The older dude was not having as much luck getting the other female out. Once clear Shad picked up speed.  Luke was thankful for this. He wanted Kaitlin far away. His only worry was making sure that Kaitlin did not fall off.  The way she was draped over Shad’s back almost made her look dead.

Even laden down with the extra weight, Shad quickly made it to the ranch house.  Luke ran upstairs shifting in the bedroom and grabbing extra clothes for Shad.  Racing back down stairs he fought against his wolf spirit for leaving her unmarked with an unmated male. As he cleared the door, he tossed the extra clothes by Shad’s feet. He reached up and decided that he wouldn’t be able to get her off Shad’s back without some assistance.  As if he was reading Luke’s mind Shad lowered himself to the ground. Once he was a safe distance from the ground he rolled a little so Kaitlin could be slid off his side.

Before Kaitlin could slide off, Luke wrapped his arms around her front shoulders ensuring that she landed on the ground gently.  As soon as Kaitlin was clear, Shad took off behind the house. Luke figured he was going to shift in privacy.  Seconds later Shad returned to help Luke carry her upstairs. Once in her room they laid her on the floor while they prepared her a cushiony bed with cushions off the couch and chairs. They made a nice pallet to place her upon.   Once she was settled on the pallet the boys moved quietly out of the room. 

When they got down stairs, the old man had finally gotten the other female to the main house.   Once the area was deemed secure and no others could get in, it was time to start discussing what had to be taken care of.

“She has no idea who we are does she?” the older guy inquired.

“No she has no real memory about a lot of people. A few have triggered her memory. There has to be strong connection. It was like those she had a daily interaction with or an emotional investment. I do not know how often she was with y’all as a child, but there is a chance because you are family your memories were buried even deeper than most others. Somehow, they brainwashed her to believe that her mom lived with them. Kaitlin believes our ruling Luna is her mom. Not sure how they pulled it off, but it really hurt her, and made her distrusting of others.  Shad even became distrusted when she found out he was a shifter. He was loyal and deemed her best friend beforehand. She would tell him everything. She hates dogs or rather has a huge fear of them.   Anyone in wolf form has been a threat up to now. Only time she doesn’t react badly to wolves being close by is when she has shifted.  Trust me when I say it is really bad,” Luke replied back looking toward Shad for so help.