Chapter 3 - What is going on? rewrote

• Dedicated to JD Cave

Here is the newley revised Chapter 3

This goes to the wonderful friends in the JD Cave.  Thanks for the support and advice.  Yall make it so much easier to write this.

Chapter 3

It seemed like forever that Kaitlin sat in her truck, battling to get her emotions under control. After grabbing a tissue from the box beside her seat and starting the engine she wiped the remaining tears away and blew her nose. With a quick stop to get her mail she then headed towards the reserve.

In Junction, Kaitlin decided to stop to grab something to eat. Breakfast seemed so long ago. She ran into the DQ and grabbed a burger and fries before hitting the road again. The radio blasted a country station which almost caused her to miss a call from Ms. C.

“Kaitlin where are you?” asked a panicked Ms. C.

“I just pulled on Interstate ten. I stopped to grab something to eat.” Kaitlin sensed something off about Ms. C.

 “The reserve is locked down. Go to the old hunting ranch up near Blandridge,” Ms. C rushed out.

That confused her.  Nobody used the old hunting ranch anymore. It had been empty since Cliff’s death.

As Kaitlin tried to figure out an alternative place the cell went dead. She tried to call back but it went straight to voice mail. This scared her a lot as she wondered where to go and what to do?

Since the refugee became locked down, there seemed to be no place. Instead she decided to drive to the next rest area. At least Shad would be able to stretch his legs while allowing her to take stock of what to do next. After drawing the truck as close to the water spigot as possible Kaitlin tied Shad on a lunge line so he’d be able to walk around and feed. She then cleaned out his trailer and laid fresh hay and cool water. The whole time fussing with where to go and what happened. Somehow leaving this morning might have been a blessing.

All the money Kaitlin possessed at the moment was in the envelope up front. Luckily, they filled the truck up the day before on the ranch. Fuel would not be a big issue yet. Horse food and people food on the other hand would be the most pressing problem.

She was thankful to have grabbed two sacks of sweet feed before leaving, although that would not last long. It happened to be a good thing she supplied her own feed or otherwise, Shad would not have anything to eat. Food for herself was in her opinion, not as pressing as feeding Shad.

In times like these Kaitlin missed her granddad more than ever. He had taken over raising her when his son Cliff died. He took her in when everyone else turned their backs on her. She often wondered why Granddad didn’t take the ranches and businesses back over. Her dad did leave him a small two-bedroom house with ten acres.

Granddad said he turned the family fortune, companies, and ranches over to her dad when he retired. Everything got put in to Cliff’s control, lock stock and barrel. Cliff then put everything in the name of the family business, so who ever took control at his death inherited everything.

Granddad became unable to do anything about it. With Cliff’s death everything went to the next in line. So they lived in poverty while the new director ran around the world having a high time on Cliff’s money and work.

The ranches lost money left and right by all accounts. Two companies closed due to being bankrupt. The director failed to have a head for business.

Kaitlin decided find out how much money Ms. C had sent with her. Probably hundred fifty to two hundred dollars for fuel and fifty dollars, if lucky, for meals. She tried nor to pass out when the envelope revealed an enormous amount of money.