Chapter 21 - Heat

As always I wanted to say thank you to everyone who is reading my story. It means a lot that there is so many of you reading and voting and commenting.

I Just wanted to say thanks to LJ Summers for continuing to read even though some chapters got very messed up and copied over so the was skips in the story.

Thanks to Challenegethemind for all you great editing.

As always thanks to JD Cave for your encouragement.

Read on. Please remember to vote and comment if you feel it is worthy.

Chapter 21

Luke pondered Kaitlin's words as she drifted into a relaxed state. He sensed alertness though her stillness was very discerning. One would almost think she'd fallen asleep by the way she was sprawled out, almost as if she had no bones left. She had moved her head tightly under his chin and her soft breaths fluffed his fur. He could feel a very soft deep rumbling purr. His body responded with its own deep rumble though it did not sound near as soothing a sound as hers.

Luke lifted his head to lick the side of Kaitlin's snout. He felt bad for being such an ass when she came to her. He understood she did not know his past so he shouldn't hold mistakes made out of ignorance against her. Kaitlin had become such an important part of his life so quick that to lose her would kill him. While Kaitlin acted human and processed things like a human, he let his wolf spirit lead and guide him more. At that thought, he reminded himself they still had to have a bonding ceremony. They had been around each other enough that her heat cycle should be starting soon. The way she cried when he moved away earlier indicated it might already be upon her. If that indeed was the case, he must be bound to her soon or there could be dire consequences.

After lying together for a while to allow the animal spirits time to bond as the human ones had; Luke rose. He nudged Kaitlin to stand and follow him. The pull from earlier now almost dragged their feet toward it. Turning to go back, the way they came; they stumbled across Devlin and Shad stretched out across the ground sound asleep. Deciding to have some fun with these two pain in his sides; Luke had Kaitlin run ahead just a bit and hide in the tank. He hoped the tank would do two things for her. One, mask her heavenly scent that was growing stronger with each passing moment and two, cool her over heated system. Once Kaitlin mind linked back that she was safely in the water Luke got in between the sleeping protectors and let his loudest alpha growl out. As soon as he growled, he hopped on a dead tree that had fallen and had a nice little spot between the two mail branches where he could lay and hide.

As soon as Luke had let forth his mighty growl the two protectors bounded to their feet. Not knowing where the growl had come from they both attacked the first one they saw. Luke was completely thrown by this. He hopped down and set out to break up the fight.

"What is up with you two? What if that had been Kaitlin who woke you just now. You two would have torn her to shreds as I don't see her as one to fight you back." Luke lit into the two over emotional protectors.

Shad and Devlin had the grace to at a minimum look guilty. They had no clue as to why they had attacked. It was as though a trigger had flipped and a battle had to be won. Not knowing the enemy, they attacked. Whatever had caused the attack trigger was powerful.

"So like... what did you do with Kaitlin?" Shad inquired.

"She is in the tank as her heat is setting in," Luke returned.

"Dad gum it I had hoped we would have longer to find someone who could perform your mating ceremony. If you mate before the ceremony and she is declared her father's heir then we all lose out on our gifts and she will not be able to be our leader." Shad shook his head and started to pace.