Isaac Lahey - "Do you ever follow directions?"

You shifted your weight from one leg to the other. You had checked your watch a thousand times during the last couple of minutes, but Isaac had still not arrived. If he had been anyone else, you would have started to get worried, but now you were mostly just annoyed. You were already looking forward to all the excuses he would come up with.

"Sorry..." Isaac was out of breath when he eventually stood in front of your door. "I thought I knew a shorter route, but I sorta think that the shorter route was not exactly a shorter route..." He placed his hands on his knees and you rolled your eyes while you shook your head.

"Do you ever follow directions?" You crossed your arms over your chest. "I've explained you at least four times how to get from your house to my house. If there had been a shorter way, don't you think I would have given you that one?"

Isaac straightened his back again and he scratched the back of his neck. "Yeah, yeah, I guess you would've..." He licked his lips and his cheeks started to blush a little. Even though you wanted to be mad at him, he wasn't making it easy for you to do so. "I didn't really listen to what you said yesterday, okay?"

You stared at him for a couple of seconds without saying a word. "So, then what were you doing exactly while I was trying to give you the most detailed description ever?" You raised your eyebrows and even though it seemed almost impossible, his cheeks reddened even more.

"I euh..." He stuttered, almost tripping over his own words and then he took a deep breath. "My hobby is making fun of you when you talk..." He bent his head and stared at his feet, but then his lips curled up into a grin, lights dancing in his eyes. "I was...I was a little distracted I think..." His gaze met yours and you saw something you had never seen before. "I'm always a little distracted when I'm talking to you, actually."

"And what in the world could be more important than focussing on me when I talk?" You curled your lips up into a smile too and Isaac paused for a moment while turning his head away from you.

"Well, it's not that there is anything more important, actually..." He took a deep breath. "It's more that when I look at you it's like my heart skips a beat and I just want to stare at you and then the world becomes this big blur and..."

"Wait..." You interrupted him and you widened your eyes. "Are you just telling me in that typical way of yours that you're in love with me?"

"O, no, I..." Isaac froze for a moment and then he shrugged his shoulders. "I think so..."

For a moment you didn't know what to say and then you started laughing. "You're in love with...me?" You let the words sink in and thought about them for a moment. "You're in love with me..." All of a sudden a lot of things made sense and you took a deep breath. "O...you're in love with me..." Your voice was now barely a whisper.

"But you're not in love with me, right?" Isaac swallowed and he stared at you with those big blue eyes.

"I..." You wanted to say no, but somehow you couldn't say it. "I don't know actually. I never...I never thought about it." You normally didn't stutter this much, but you couldn't help it. "I'll answer that question after we finished our project, okay?"

Isaac nodded, his lips curling up into a nervous grin. "Okay."