Chapter 21 || Kiva

Kiva couldn't help but smile as Trysti's face lit up with excitement—her eyes grew round, her face open, and her smile uplifting. Trysti knew how to find good in every bad with a genuine optimism that so starkly contrasted Kiva's cynicism. AFter the festival, Inver had visited Trysti and requested that she serve as Lavri's spokeswoman—she was one of the best orators in the entire Resistance and well deserved this honor.

Trysti's excitement wasn't just because of the honor, but because of who ha bestowed it. Trysti had always tried to repress her feelings for Inver on behalf of Inver's own feelings for Kiva. Trysti was too good for jealousy, but she still measured every suitor against Inver's seeming near-perfection.

"This is what you want?" Kiva asked, watching with a tempered smile as Trysti paced before her, arms gesticulating furiously with enthusiasm.

"Yes, of course! I can use what I have to help the Resistance. I'll even be at the council meetings with you and Justyn. Kiva, this is wonderful!"
"Inver or your new job?" Kiva asked.

"Not Inver, all of this—I have a role now, I can actually help. I can repay the Resistance for...everything," Trysti smiled, but Kiva could not mistake the welling of memory behind it.

Trysti's parents had been murdered during one of Vinrys's raids near the border between Sari and Lavri; ever since then, she had been one of many orphaned teenagers turned adults who had reestablished their identities in Lavri. As with all of them, her war against Vinrys was also a personal vendetta.

"I'll be so glad to have you with me on the council," Kiva said.

Trysti turned abruptly to Kiva, gently touching her hand. "Kiv, what's going on? You've barely spoken to me or anyone over the last few days. Did something happen?"

Kiva accepted Trysti's hand with a squeeze—she was one of the few people whose physical touch brought comfort rather than fear. "Trys, I have to tell you something," she whispered.

It took her a moment to gather her scattered mind. Besides Justyn, Trysti knew the most about Kiva's traumatic past from bits of information she'd spilled over the years.

"You can tell me. What happened?"

"Inver...tried to kiss me. I tried to push him away, but...but he wouldn't stop," Kiva stared at the floor beneath her as she fought to keep her breath even.

Trysti's face paled and she caught her breath. "What did he..." 

"Nothing. Riyel stopped him."

"Riyel, the new captain?" 

"Yes. I left the party, and I haven't talked to Inver since. I can't talk to him, Trysti. I can't even be around him. He doesn't understand, but he shouldn't have forced himself on me. It's...it's not right. I asked him to stop, begged him, I swear, but he wouldn't."

Trysti squeezed Kiva's hand, reminding her of Riyel's firm grip that had brought her back from the brink of darkness. "I'm so sorry, Kiv. I'll stay with you. He won't come near you, Justyn will be there too. We'll protect you."

"I can't keep expecting people to protect me," Kiva exclaimed, dropping Trysti's hand and standing to her feet. "I keep on expecting Justyn or you to take care of me. I need to stand up for myself."

The Stone Circle was full, Kiva observed, of rugged, war-torn warriors. Justyn sat to her right and Trysti to her left, her own personal guards from danger without though not within. Inver sat at the head of the circle as regal as a king, and his eyes imploringly sought her out. She could feel him watching her, but she refused to look at him, choosing to ignore the coming confrontation until they were alone. Riyel as well caught her gaze with a head nod and a smile that she could not help but return.