Mean Girls

Zoe

They didn't have me move out.

I couldn't anyways.

They made me have three hour therapy sessions a day.

I know they have information on Jenny, but they won't tell me anything.

The rules got stricter, where they watch you to make sure you swallow your medicine.

My parents are upset because they love Jenny.

It's been three full months since she's been gone. All of her things are here still.

I just want to know how she's doing.

The strangest thing happened though.

Jacob switched rooms because he hates Ian now, and Now Ian and this guy named Dylan room, and they're best friends, and Ian stopped snapping as much, and he seems to be depressed.

But we talk every day, the three of us.

I have their numbers, but I don't know their stories.

They adopted me when Jenny left.

I still find myself turning and expecting to see her coming up behind me.

Classes aren't in session, but it's January second.

It was October.

Tomorrow is a talent show and other schools are coming.

I don't know what Ian is doing, but I know he's going in it.

Ian is like, mesmerized by Jenny.

He's staring at his lunch, his eyebrow furrowed.

"Do you think she's alive, Zoe?" He whispers.

I look up, and my smile fades to nothing.

"I don't know." I whisper.

***

It's six at night, and we're in the auditorium.

There's different high schools from all over the state here.

Four are from Jefferson City, where Jenny's from.

I know the people in this room are the ones to push her over the edge.

I'm sitting in the front row.

This place sucks.

Kids that are singing have parents here.

I notice a blonde woman and a boy that looks exactly like Ian sitting near me.

Maybe his family?

Principal Custer walks onto the stage after the last performer leaves.

"Next up, we have Ian Grant and his guitarist, Dylan Ray."

The woman and boy near me start cheering loudly.

They must be Ian's family.

I clap loudly.

They walk out on stage, and everyone is quiet.

Ian walks up to the microphone, clearing his throat.

"Hi." He says. "I'm Ian." He puts his hands in his pockets. I think he's nervous. He takes a deep breath, shutting his eyes. "When I was a child, I grew up to the sound of my parents fighting. It wasn't always like that. In fact, when I was younger, they actually loved each other. Around age ten, they had mostly mended their relationship. One day, when my twin brother was staying the night at a friend's house, my Dad was driving me to my aunts because they had been fighting. My Mom came with, and they were screaming at each other. My Dad hit a patch of black ice and the car ran onto the other side of the interstate. We were t-boned by a pickup truck. Both my parents died on the impact. I lived." He purses his lips together, looking down. He lets out a breath. "I moved in with my brother, and my Aunt Amelia. She's been my rock through everything, the way my Mom used to be. I wore sweatshirts to school, and I started getting bullied. For those of you who know me, that's why I have a tendency to...lash out." He clears his throat. "Aunt Amelia sent me to this school." He says. "And a couple months ago, this girl I'd spent the last year or so with was on a horse, and the horse went wild, and I went after her."