Uncle Arthur

I got home, and when I pulled into the driveway, I started to panic.

My Mom is home.

I shut my eyes, and then I get out, walking inside.

Mom is standing in the foyer with her arms crossed.

"What are you doing home? It's noon, Jennifer. School doesn't release for another hour and a half."

I clear my throat.

"Well...uh..." I sigh. "My day was fine. Great, actually. It was the best school day I've had in a really, really long time. But...I was at lunch with Ian and Isaac and Zoe and Dylan, and this guy had made a comment and Zoe kept pushing me on it and she was doing it to see if I like Ian, but I think that she was pushing because she likes Ian. She went to his house, Mom."

"So?"

"So she went to Ian's house. Why would she go to Ian's house if she doesn't like him?"

Mom sighs.

"Jen, you know Zoe likes Dylan. She was probably pushing because she wants you and Ian together." She pauses. "Why do you care if she likes Ian, anyways? Do you like Ian?"

I start to tell her no, but I hesitate for a second too long.

"You have a thing for Ian." She says.

Grabbing my wrist, she drags me to the kitchen, pushing me into a stool. She hands my phone back to me for the first time in weeks, and she starts cooking, asking all types of questions.

She asks me everything she can think of, telling me about her and my Dad.

"And then he kissed me, and honey, my heart felt full. I knew he was the one right there, the second his lips touched mine. My body was warm, even thought it was ice cold outside. I had never been so sure about anything in my life."

I smile at the thought.

"I hope to have a love like you and Dad someday. Do you think I already met my future husband?"

Mom just looks at me.

"I think you think your best friend likes your future husband."

That's a lot coming from my Mom. She's never been the one to actually think something out loud. Normally her response to my question would be "I don't know."

If I ask her if she thinks it will rain, she'd say I don't know.

She doesn't like to say her thoughts.

It's terrifying though, because when my Mom does think something, she ends up right.

Every single time.

"Mom, what if Zoe likes him?" I whisper.

"Well," she starts. The doorbell rings.

She puts up a finger and walks out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on her apron.

She opens the door, and I can't quite make out the voices, but a few moments later, she comes back.

She's not alone.

No, Zoe, Ian, Isaac, and Dylan are with her.

"Have a good day skipping?" Zoe asks.

My heart races at the sight of Ian.

I sigh.

"Why?" Zoe asks. "What the fuck, Jen? Why did you run off and why didn't you tell us what was wrong? How do you expect to be happy if you can't voice your feelings?"