Two

I love the sound of my name upon your lips - I wasn't worried - RoadTrip

We seemed to be walking for hours. It felt like we were miles away. I thought we'd walked all the way to Australia. My dad always tells me that all the people in Australia are upside down. I didn't feel upside down so I couldn't have walked to Australia. Maybe just to France. Or further.
"Here we are. A beach." Andy said, gesturing to a small bit of sand next to the river. It didn't look much like a beach. But Andy had told me that he was from Manchester. I was from Yorkshire. Maybe beaches looked different in Manchester.
"We found it!" I said, jumping up and down.
"We sure did, Miss Kenzie. Take a seat, my lady." Andy said, bowing. I giggled at him.
"How long were we walking for?" I asked him. He glanced down at his watch.
"Around half an hour." Andy told me. That meant that it was half an hour back again. That was an hour.
"Are we still in England?" I asked him. He laughed at me.
"Of course we are, silly!" Andy laughed.
"Oh... I thought we were in France or Australia." I said.
"You're so cute, Miss Kenzie. Will your parents be worried about you?" He asked.
"I'm not cute. They probably won't care where I am. They're probably fighting as usual." I sighed.
"They fight?" Andy asked, putting his hand on my shoulder.
"All the time. Sometimes it feels like they don't care if I hear what they say. They don't love each other anymore. I don't think they love me as much anymore either. Dad always focuses on his other girlfriends and his drinks. Mum acts like she cares about me but I can see it in her eyes. She's trying not to cry when she tells me she's okay." I told Andy. A few tears escaped my eyes. Andy reached into his pocket and pulled out a tissue. He wiped my eyes.
"They love you. They always will. No matter what. Parents are confusing. My mum confuses me all the time. But I know that she loves me so much. I love her so much too. She's the most amazing lady that I know." Andy explained. I smiled at him.
"You're so smart." I said.
"I'm not." Andy sighed.
"How does it feel to be fourteen?" I asked him.
"Not much different to being thirteen. Being thirteen doesn't feel much different to being twelve, either. It's just a number." Andy said. I looked at him and then unexpectedly grabbed him into a hug.
"What's that for?" He asked.
"I don't like it when people are sad." I told him.
"You're a very special girl, Miss Kenzie." He told me.
"I'm not. I'm just me." I laughed.
"No, you're amazing. Not every girl you meet will randomly walk for half an hour with you and then sit on a patch of sand whilst you spout your problems. Not every girl will hug you when you're crying. Most girls that I've known for years wouldn't do that. So you're very special, Miss Kenzie." He said, smiling at me. He leaned forward, his eyes closing and lips pursing. Then he kissed me. I'd never kissed anyone before. I didn't know what I was meant to do.

Andy pulled away from me and smiled.
"We should get going back." He smiled.
"Yes we should." I whispered, a huge smile on my face. We began walking back to the campsite. We spoke about music and football and art. We spoke about anything and everything. Anything that entered my mind. I'd never met someone like this before. It seemed that it didn't matter what he said, I just loved speaking to him.
"I love music." He said.
"So do I. It's an escape. I listen to music when my mum and dad are fighting. It blocks out the sound. I especially love songs with stories. It's like you can picture the story. I'm not very good at reading. I can't be bothered with books. They take too long. But one three minute song can take you on any adventure imaginable. Music sets you free." I said. Andy's smile got wider and he sighed, happily.
"Music sets you free. I like that. If ever I become a musician, I'll use that." He laughed.
"I should copyright it." I laughed.
"All rights go to Miss Kenzie." He laughed. I liked his laugh. It was the kind of laugh that lit up a room and made everyone else laugh. It was funny.

It was dark when we finally arrived back at the campsite. Me and Andy both walked to the tent that my mum and dad had attempted to put up. My mum sounded angry.
"For God's sake, Kenzie, where the hell were you?! We thought you'd been kidnapped. I can't believe you! You're trying to ruin this holiday, aren't you?!" She shouted.
"Oh, just shut up, Sue. For God's sake, she's a kid. Let her live a little." My dad sighed. I could tell that he'd had something to drink as his voice was very loud and he spoke very slowly. Andy looked at my mum and dad and then back at me.
"Mum, this is Andy Fowler." I told her.
"I don't care who he is. His parents must be out of their minds too!" My mum shouted.
"Oh no, it's no bother. My mum knows I love to explore." He told her. She sighed at him, rolling her eyes.
"Right, Kenzie. Bed. Now." My mum said sternly.
"Can I just say goodbye to Andy?" I asked. My mum sighed and walked inside the tent.
"Goodnight Miss Kenzie." Andy said, hugging me.
"Goodnight, Andy Fowler. Will I see you tomorrow?" I asked him.
"I'll meet you down by the river at ten o'clock tomorrow morning." He said.
"Do you promise?" I asked. He kissed me on the cheek.
"I promise." He said.

Then he never came back.

*****************************

Hey guys! I'm already loving writing this book and I hope you're enjoying reading it. I wonder why Andy never came back. Any ideas?

Vote+Comment💜

-Emily xx