1.4

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Mark: Sunday, 30 July
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜

When I walked downstairs in the morning, I noticed Sean's mother freaking out as she talked to mine. I looked between them. "No," My mother said. "No he went home last night. I saw him walk out the back door."

"He didn't come home, I never saw him come in and he wasn't here this morning." Mrs. McLoughlin was panicking as she talked to her. I saw the fear in her face as she turned to me. "Mr. Fischbach do you know where Jack is?"

"What? No, what's going on?" I asked.

"Sean didn't go home last night." My mother answered. "We don't know where he is."

"Shit.." I muttered.

"Mark." My mother scolded me. "Are you sure you don't know anything?" I shook my head, my mother grabbed me by the arm and tugged me aside. "Look, you little brat. I saw you at the party last night, and if you did anything to that poor boy you better say so now or I am going to beat you."

"No, I'm telling you, I don't know." I sighed. "I have no idea where he is."

My mother looked me up and down and walked away. She looked like she was trying to console Sean's mother. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and took it out to see that I had a text from Felix.

Felix: Hey Mark, I've got something for you.

The timing was perfect and it sent shivers down my spine.

"Hey mom," I said quietly. "Do you need my help around here? I gotta do something."

"Sean is missing and you have something to do?" She scolded me. "You are going to stay here until we find him. So pop a squat and chill out, boy." She turned back to Mrs. McLoughlin and I let out a deep sigh before I walked through the house. Marika looked like she was trying really hard to console her two younger sisters.

"Oh, hi Mark." She weakly smiled to me. She looked tired, drained, and her eyes were red and puffy as if she had been crying. Family meant everything to this group of people. I knew this, that's what they relied on. One another. It was this loyalty that kept Sean from going to work for Felix and kept him here all this time.

My mind brought me back to the idea that Felix had Sean, if he did, I was going to be infuriated because I know for sure that Sean wouldn't just disappear into the night.

"Hey, how's it going?" I said as I sat down. The three girls looked miserable.

"I just hope he's going to come back at some point. But this is so unlike him. He would never just wander off and that's what scares me." Marika told me. She let out a sigh as she tapped her nails against the table. "Excuse me, I have work to -"

"Absolutely not." I glared at her. "You sit down and relax, everything will work out."

I turned and excited the room and pulled out my phone, calling Felix as I walked outside and glanced at the pool that Sean and I messed around in.

"Hello?" Felix answered the phone.

"What did you want?" I asked.

"I had something to show you." Felix commented.

"Yeah I know, but I can't leave my house." I responded.

"Why not?"

"Because," I sighed "Sean is missing."

"He is? You serious?"

"Why would I lie about that?" I scoffed. "He never reached home last night."

"Shit, man. That's crazy." Felix sighed.

"You don't know anything about that?" I asked, not entirely believing his shock.

"No, of course not." Felix said. "Hey, if you need help looking for him let me know. He'll probably show back up by the end of the day, I don't doubt it. Jack's resourceful."

"You call him Jack?" I asked. "Is there something between you guys? You always talk about wanting him as a servant."

"I want him for a lot of other reasons besides that." Felix chuckled. "Have you ever looked at Jack? He's drop dead gorgeous."

"I didn't know you were interested in guys."

"Girls too," Felix said. "I don't know Jack's usually just polite when I try to flirt with him. I don't really get it considering how well I could take care of him and his family. I swear I thought once Mr. Kirkby died he would've came straight to me. Hell, when I heard he did I was a little excited."

"What? That's my grandfather, Felix."

"Not excited that he died," Felix sighed. "I'm sorry about that, I am. But I finally thought that Jack would've showed up at my door, needing me and my help. And I would gladly give it to him. He's really great in a lot of ways, I wanted that in my life. Then you guys showed up, and when I offered he still proclaimed he was loyal to the Kirkby's, which includes you." Felix took a deep breath and continued. "I like you, but I kinda wish your family would've let the estate fall, and the company disperse. I wanted Jack to come to me but because you showed up he didn't."

"For wanting him so badly you don't seem too worried about the fact that he's missing." I said.

"I am worried, but I think he'll show up eventually. It's Jack, not enough people know who he is to be able to know exactly where he is in order to knock him out." Felix sighed. "Instead of putting me in a lineup, Mark, I would try putting your own family in one."

The phone went dead and I felt myself take in a deep breath. Maybe he was right, so I went and I checked around everywhere. It was hard to hide a body, especially a living one. And I didn't want to think he wasn't.

Felix frightened me a little, he was dead set on having Sean and I don't know why. Either way, I knew that he was here to stay. Nothing Felix could offer would change that. But there was no way he had Sean, I didn't think it was possible.

~AN

You were probably all reading this and being like "how come I didn't get to know who knocked Jack out, why is this entire chapter just prolonging a cliffhanger" the simple answer is: this is my book, I do what I want. The complicated answer is: because I wanted to show both sides of the situation before I get into the really dark nitty gritty of what I'm about to do.

Rinny!