2.3

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Jack: Tuesday, 12 September
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜     

I don't really remember how long we sat there for, but I know it was a long time. I tried not to think about it, I tried to sleep like everyone else, but I couldn't. At about 2 AM, the nurse walked into the room where everyone was sleeping except for me.

"Mark's awake." She told me. "You can go and talk to him if you would like."

"Is he okay?" I asked.

"He's alive? He should remain alive, if that's what you wanted to know." The nurse said.

"I know you said all of those things before, all the different things that could happen. I wanted to know what ended up happening."

The nurse took a deep breath. "Just go in there."

I turned my head towards the room and walked in there, there was a curtain around where Mark was. I moved it out of the way and poked only my head around it, but Mark didn't see me, he was glancing the other way. I guess he didn't hear me either but I wasn't making that much noise.

So many things were running through my head.

Would he remember me? Could he not see me at all? What if he couldn't hear me? What if, what if, what if?

I stepped a little farther in.

"Mark?" I spoke up, but he didn't turn to me. I walked a little closer to him. "Mark?" When I spoke this time, he turned his head to me. So he did hear me, and it looked like he saw me.

"Jack?" He responded and I let out a sigh of relief. But when he saw me, it immediately looked like he was going to begin to cry.

"Hey, hey, hey." I began and sat down on the edge of the bed. "What's the matter?"

Mark seemed relatively fine to me, all of the things I was worried about weren't happening.

"What?" Mark responded.

"You look like you're about to cry." I told him and he looked as if he didn't understand me. Was this it? 

"No." Mark said. "Why are you here?"

"Because you're here." I said. I didn't really know what to think right now, I was confused but I also didn't know what to ask him. "How do you feel?"

"My head hurts." Mark said. "My legs feel weird too."

"Your.. Legs?"

"Yeah, I don't know." Mark shrugged. 

Within that moment a bunch of other people walked into the room, it quickly became very crowded and noisy, I would have appreciated to have Mark by myself but I couldn't ask that of his family.

They sat and chatted, Mark seemed a little out of it, but overall alright. This surprised me, but I didn't at all mind. 

The nurse came in and smiled at all of us. "We just need to run a few tests on Mark to make sure everything is alright. As far as we're concerned, his memory is fine, his cognitive functions are still doing good, but we wanna make sure everything is up to date. We wanna do some scans and everything, so we're going to take him to the other room. So Mark, could you come with me?"

Mark nodded and he swung his legs around. When he went to get up though, his legs immediately gave out and he fell. I jumped forward like a few others to catch him. "Whoa, whoa, easy, easy." The nurse stepped forward and helped him back onto the bed. "Mark, what happened? Can you explain what you're feeling?"